Greetings from the land of mad vikings

bowman76

Reaction score
Greetings from Denmark to all fellow flyfishermen and flyfisherwomen :)

Short introduction of me: Have been flyfishing since i left the crib.....which is 41 years ago. Married for 4 years, no kids and living in the north of Zealand - with a 5 minute walk to miles of coastline and numerous seatrouts.

I am employed at an american pharmaceutical company, Biogen, trying to help and cure people for MS, alzheimers, cancer etc. and in my sparetime i fish, bowhunt and hike. My wife and I have a common hobby in ballroom dancing, so we have attended dancing lessons for 11 years now (for some reason I still manage to step on her toes ;) )

One of my life long dreams have been to visit North America and combine hiking the wilderness with fishing and bowhunting.

Take care and tight lines to all.

dennyk

Reaction score
Hi bowman and welcome to the forum. This place is loaded with information as well as a friendly atmosphere.

For your U.S. bowhunting adventures, check out a website called TradGang. Traditional archery/hunting as well as having good info on state associations for helping you make plans.

:welcome:

Denny

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, bowman76. Looking forward to reading about fishing in the land of the Vikings.

steve

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Bowman76

Welcome to the forum!
I sure hope and pray you and your company can find a cure for some of those dreadful diseases!
In the meantime, we sure would like to read about your fishing adventures there in Denmark.
We have lots of great members here, so when you get serious about making a trip over here to either fish, hike or bow hunt we can help you out.

bowman76

Reaction score
Thanks a lot everybody. I sure look forward to spending som time here amongst peers; reading and learning from you all :)

smarty140

Reaction score
Greetings Bowman-

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to reading of your adventures.

What type of game do you bowhunt for in Denmark? Or do you travel to other countries for your hunting? I’ve never known of Denmark as a hunting country, but that may just be my ignorance.

There are certainly lots of options here in North America for a combo bowhunting/flyfishing trip, especially if you have a couple weeks available.

ryan

bowman76

Reaction score
Greetings Bowman-

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to reading of your adventures.

What type of game do you bowhunt for in Denmark? Or do you travel to other countries for your hunting? I’ve never known of Denmark as a hunting country, but that may just be my ignorance.

There are certainly lots of options here in North America for a combo bowhunting/flyfishing trip, especially if you have a couple weeks available.

ryan
Well, if we are talking strictly bowhunting, then we hunt i.e. pheasant, hare, rabbit, fox and roedeer.
Roedeer is, as of now, the biggest game we can legally hunt (bowhunting, that is). But this fall the law is beeing changed so we will have the opportunity to hunt sitka-, fallow- and redstag with the bow as well (it is allready legal with firearms).

Redstag is the largest native game. If we want to hunt moose, then we have to go to Norway, Sweden and Finland. Wild boar is typically hunted in Germany, Poland, Hungary and Sweden.

Some travel abroad to Alaska, Canada and russia to hunt bear, moose, elk and whitetails. Some go down to New Zealand and fish and hunt there.

But I have always wanted to go to North America. Even just to experince the vastness.
You see, Denmark is "only" around 850.000 squaremiles, so there is not a lot of room for large animals. Besides hunting leases are mostly small and there are to many hunters wanting a piece of the action. We really don´t have that much nature left; 90 % of it is in reality farmland. Not much forest around here.

Luckily we have almost 4.600 miles of coastline - so plenty of room for fishing. And coastal fishing is free :thumb:

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Hi, Bowman, and welcome. I'm sure you'll enjoy this forum as much as I, a Brit, do. Man, these guys are ..... cordial. :D
I'm sure, too, that we'll enjoy any pics you can post of the cracking sea trout you Danes can catch. They're my favourite fish but they don't run as large as yours here in the Hebrides. Scottish east coast, though, they do. :) Pound for pound, they're better than an Atlantic salmon for my penneth. I look forward to reading your posts,
Cheers,
Lewis.