Introduction thread: Just got my first nice set up.

HetchLitman

Reaction score
Hey fellow anglers,

I’ve been coming here for a year now and just lurking. This place is just a wealth of information. I finally decided to create an account and introduce myself now that I finally bought a decent set up.

A little about me is that I’ve been a spinner guy my whole life until last fall when i had a chance to go to my fishing grounds (the sierras in California) with a buddy of mine that was getting into fly fishing. I figured I would give it a shot. I went and bought a Redington combo system for less than 80.00 on sale but really to be honest had no idea what I was doing that summer. I lucked into a couple nice hook ups and even landed one or two but always went back to my spinning combo.

Fast forward to this spring I headed back as is my custom and decided to stick to the fly . After spending many hours here and on youtube and practicing my casting in the yard for a few months my casts were better and smoother. I leaned the double haul and the roll cast. They are still ugly as sin but I can usually get the line to go where I want haha. My buddy again showed up but this time he had a new St Croix Legend Elite and I couldn’t believe the difference (well I mean I expect it to be better but wow I didn’t really get it) I decided right then and there to do all the research and get a nice set up for myself.

THis brings me to yesterday. I’m getting ready to go to the kern river for a week coming up the week after next and another 2 weeks in Bridgeport later this year and after that we are moving from California to the Idaho Panhandle. The boss said I could spend about 600.00. IT was quite the conversation when I said how bout 1000? Lol. She finally agreed. I decided to go ahead and buy myself a G Loomis NRX LP 5-weight 9’ rod and a Ross Cimarron II reel with some SA MPX Mastery Stealth line. According to the tracking number they will be here in the morning! I’m like a kid on Christmas Eve. Not sure I’ll even be able to sleep tonight. Haha.

Anyway, I just wanted to finally create an account and thank you guys for all the conversations youve been having on this fine forum and introduce myself.

I’m glad to be a part of the community. I’ll post a picture tomorrow of the set up.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
HetchLitman

Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing!

Sound like you really got a nice setup that you will enjoy for years, congrats!

ryc72

Reaction score
Good for you. You’re gonna love that rod. Small fish are fun and handles big fish well too. Let us know how the next setup purchasing conversation goes. And the next. And the next. And the...you get the idea.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
You sir have an AWESOME wife!!!

To let you spend that much money on equipment for a sport your just getting into, she must be something special.

That rod will serve you well, I'm sure of it. You have nowhere to go but up from here, and be careful. This sport is very addicting and you can get sucked into buying things you really don't need, but you just have to have it anyway.

And since you're moving to the pan handle of Idaho, you may want to take up fly tying for the winter months to keep busy for the next season.

Welcome aboard.

finisher

Reaction score
Congrats on the new setup! The Idaho panhandle is definitely a special place. Lots of great and diverse fishing opportunities.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of posting with us :)

I moved your thread to New member Intros and wanted to say hello myself too.

Ard

brownbass

Reaction score
Welcome to the board, I picked up the NRX LP late last year and paired it with the Nautilus Xm and Rio Gold. I find it a great rod for most fishing I do an think you will appreciate it. Welcome to fly fishing.

Bill

dennyk

Reaction score
Hi HetchLitman and welcome to the forum. Better stay on the boss's good side, it won't be the last rod set up you'll be buying! :)

:welcome:

Denny