New member from Tassie

Jimfish

Reaction score
G’day all
Come across this forum whilst looking for Elk Hair comparison with deer hair and it looks like there’s plenty to see here.
I mainly fish Stillwater lakes in the Tasmanian Highlands but spend a couple of weeks fishing rivers in New Zealand each year. I mainly sight fish for browns and tie most of my own flies.
I’m looking forward to sharing info with all on here.
Cheers Jim

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Jim. As Denny said, lots of good people here and plenty of information. Looking forward to reading about your fishing experiences.

steve

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Jim

Welcome to the forum!
I'm looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures, that couple of years I have been doing some stillwater fishing, but I'm still a rookie at it!

kevind62

Reaction score
Welcome. I'm an avid deer hunter and hunt several sub-species of our US critters. It really depends on the geographical location of the deer. The elk hair is very thick and long making the interior of the hollow hair larger displacing more water. Deer in the southern US coast to coast have thinner shorter hair. This hair doesn't float as well as the elk hair. Deer in the Midwest and upper US have much thicker and longer hair than their southern cousins do. These hairs will perform the same as elk hair. There's also an advantage to the deer hair vs elk. If you can get access to deer hair from different "upper" regions you can get a variety of color variations. The further south the deer the darker the hair. The further north the lighter color. And with Mule deer you get that nice grey with prominent black tips. Shop around. Look up taxidermists in different areas. They'll have tons of extra hide pieces tanned. Try to work out a deal to have it shipped to you. ;)