Hello from California

czach

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My name is Zach and I'm getting started a little late in life (29) to the world of fly fishing. I remember it's always been something i've wanted to do since I was younger seeing that fly line zip around on some program on the TV on my grandmother's tv set. My dad is more of a deep sea fisherman so he said he couldn't help me fly fish and I forgot about it for for 25 years or so.

Somehow, it all kind of came to a head this year when I was looking at some bait casting gear at the start of summer and suddenly remembered that fly line zinging and bit the bug. I'm still working with my Cabela's fly set as well as a vintage montague 9' split cane rod I picked up on a whim.

So far, I've only had the chance to go up to a poorly stocked lake up in the western Tahoe forest and not have much luck, but I'm hoping for more chances to fish and to practice at the Oakland casting ponds. I will say that everyone I have met at the ponds here in Oakland have been incredibly friendly and always willing to take some time to help me out to make sure that I cast properly and well.

Right now, I'm hoping to find some fisheries nearby enough I don't need to camp overnight at (or maybe I should use it as an excuse to do get more camping days in) if anyone has any recommendations.

dennyk

Reaction score
Hi Zach and welcome to the forum. Better late then never, I'm sure you will enjoy the world of fly fishing. You have found the right place to ask a lot of questions,very helpful folks here.

:welcomean:

Denny

czach

Reaction score
Thanks! I certainly am glad this resource exists so that I can ask questions when not physically around other fly fishermen!

tcorfey

Reaction score
Hi Zach, I think I met you up at the ponds in Oakland. Welcome aboard. There are certain times during the year when we can wade for Stripers in the bay. Also you can fish for bass and panfish at several of the reservoirs in the area in Orinda there is San Pablo Reservoir, in Lafayette there is Lafayette Reservoir In San Leandro Chabot Reservoir, and in Livermore Del Valle reservoir.. All can be fished from shore or they have boat rentals. If you have your own boat then you have the whole bay or the reservoirs or the Delta that are relatively close, then you have the surf. Closest rivers are Russian River for mostly smallmouth but there is a run of steelhead and a run of shad. Closest trout stream is Putah Creek about an hour away. All of these are well known so I am not burning any spots here.

Regards,

Tim C.

bish0p

Ninja
Reaction score
Right now, I'm hoping to find some fisheries nearby enough I don't need to camp overnight at (or maybe I should use it as an excuse to do get more camping days in) if anyone has any recommendations.
Putah Creek is close by, however it's technical to fish and not suited for beginners.

Practice casting at the Oakland ponds is good. You might want to join a fly fishing club to help you learn. The local clubs have monthly meetings, classes, group outings, etc. The Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club is in the city, and Diablo Valley Fly Fisherman is in Walnut Creek.

trs

Reaction score
Zach,
Welcome, it's never too late to start, I was in my early 50's when I started. This is the right place, you'll not find a friendlier, more helpful spot on the net. The suggestion to join a local club is a great one, its one of the fastest ways to get more out of fly fishing there is.

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Zach. As you can see, there are a lot of good people on here willing to help. Everyone was a beginner, once. So, don't be shy. Let us know how you're doing.

steve

tpo

Reaction score
Hi Zach, welcome to the forum. I think you'll learn a lot here. A few comments/ suggestions for your consideration as you pick up fly fishing:

1) Join a local fly club. I recently retired and spend more time in the Tahoe Area so I joined the Tahoe-Truckee Flyfishers and I've learned a lot and made some great contacts/ friends doing so. There a at least a few here in the East Bay.

2) Go to the Fly Fishing show in Pleasanton in late February. Attend lectures, ask questions, maybe consider taking a casting lesson there. You'll learn a lot and have a goal d time for not much money.

3) For local fishing, others have given some good suggestions. I've fished some of these, including Putah Creek in the distant past, but I currently really only fish the Delta around here. I typically fish the sloughs in a float tube for panfish (2-5 wt outfit ideal), largemouth (6-8 wt ideal) and occasionally stripers. For trout, you really have to go further afield, the Sierra or Redding area, Putah creek being the exception. I hear it is tough for a beginner now, but there are a few guides for it.

4) Consider hiring a guide. While expensive for many (especially a young guy like you) they can really help push you up the learning curve and increase your enjoyment. Maybe you can find someone to share the cost. You can find a bunch of options on line and fly club folks can give you some more informed advice.

All the best to you, and welcome to the addiction!

Tom

czach

Reaction score
Hi Tim,

Yes, I do remember meeting you last saturday at the ponds. These are great suggestions and I'll definitely keep them in mind.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Welcome Zach. Everyone here has given you very good advice, and it will serve you well to follow some of it if not all of it. A 9' bamboo rod you say? :thumbup:

Some will think you went to the extreme right off with that rod, but I say good for you. Nothing like a bamboo rod to make a day on the water take it's time.