Hello from Denver, Colorado

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My name is Chris. I'm 29 and live in Denver, Colorado. Grew up spin fishing streams with my dad. Picked up fly fishing in college and love it. Started taking advantage of being only a couple of hours from so many good rivers more seriously this summer.

Started a youtube channel to document my trips after my sister asked for pictures of the trip and realized that I don't take any since my phone is always in the backpack and I'm liable to drop it into the river. If you want to check it out, feel free. Any feedback for the videos, let me know. I'm game to try new things to get some cool footage.

Also enjoy going to auctions and estate sales in order to fix up and use old wood and metal working tools in order to tinker in the garage. I played baseball in college and still play volleyball, golf, and disc golf.

Look forward to interacting on the site since I've learned so much from books, forums, and youtube channels.

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Chris

Welcome to the forum!
I’m glad you decided to join in with us and looking foreword to reading about your fishing adventures.

chechem

Reaction score
Welcome.

You're in a great region for flyfishing. Enjoy.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Frying Pan and Gunny are 2 of my favorite outings in that region. Wow.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see the waters I fish frequently on video. I watched your videos and ended up subscribing to them.

What rod and reel are you using? They look so classic and it has me intrigued.

Just one piece of friendly advice, fish with barbless hooks. There were a few moments I just cringed watching you try to unhook the fish holding it out of water.

Maybe I'll see you on the St. Vrain or other areas nearby someday.

Reaction score
The rod is an old 3 piece fiberglass with no markings on it. The reel is a Kalamazoo duke 1680. I’ve been considering the barbless thing or at least take some time to pinch the barbs down. Appreciate the advice.

el jefe

Reaction score
The rod is an old 3 piece fiberglass with no markings on it. The reel is a Kalamazoo duke 1680. I’ve been considering the barbless thing or at least take some time to pinch the barbs down. Appreciate the advice.
I just pinch them down. That way, you can take any fly, any time, anywhere, and make it barbless. I have also found that barbless hooks are easier to get out of me.:D

The other thing about going barbless is that if you adopt that as your modus operandi, you will never be out of compliance with any regulations, even inadvertently.

Welcome aboard!

MarsB

Reaction score
Welcome aboard! This forum is a wealth of knowledge and information, I've definitely learned quite a bit from participating. Look forward to seeing more of your posts!

chechem

Reaction score
Just one piece of friendly advice, fish with barbless hooks. There were a few moments I just cringed watching you try to unhook the fish holding it out of water.

Yeah, I think everybody noticed that. Since this was your welcome thread I decided to not address it.
Glad you addressed it. :nono:

acorad

Reaction score
Great video Chris!

I was in Longmont for a wedding last weekend and had some good luck on the St. Vrain. You have very pretty fish up there!

Andy

Reaction score
Thanks. Tried out the pinched hooks on clear creek today. Wish I would’ve done it sooner. Also spent less time stuck in trees without the barbs in addition to releasing the fish much easier.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Thanks. Tried out the pinched hooks on clear creek today. Wish I would’ve done it sooner. Also spent less time stuck in trees without the barbs in addition to releasing the fish much easier.
I should have told you just to smash the barbs down, but I was in a hurry. Barbless hooks, factory made or smashed down, are so much better for you and definitely the fish. By the way, thanks for the info on your rod and reel. I really like the looks of them.

Have you been to the Wild Basin yet?