Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Default New member from Salt Lake City, Utah

Hello all, my name's Dave. I've been fly fishing for about five years opportunistically (read dry flies on lakes at the right time of year), and just this season started expanding my horizons by throwing streamers at my favorite lakes in the Uintas and doing a lot of nymphing and streamer fishing on the Provo river. I just fished the portneuf river last weekend and man that was some hard fishing! Very skittish fish, no room for back casting and lots of subsurface can vegetation. I only caught one ~12" rainbow, but learned a lot. Can't wait to learn more from you all!
    Last edited by LandoLando; 10-15-2018 at 10:17 PM.

2. Likes spm, tcorfey, cpiercem liked this post

Default Re: New member from Salt Lake City, Utah

Welcome Dave,

I lived in Pocatello before moving here. Sadly the Portneuf is not what it once was. There are lots of other options in that part of Idaho that have a bit more to offer.

Hope you enjoy it here.

Don

Yeah, I've herd it's recovered since the early 2000's but still no where near the quality of the Provo or anywhere near the rivers around you.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum, Dave. Lots of knowledgeable people on here, willing to help. You can use the advanced search function for general information, but don't be shy about asking questions, if you have a something specific. Everyone was a beginner, once.

steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

Blog Entries

Dave
    Welcome to the forum!
    We’re glad you decided to join in with us, you will find a great bunch of guys and gals on this site. I’m looking forward to reading about your fly fishing adventures
    Larry

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Well, Iím already off to a bad start. I was linking pictures incorrectly, but didnít realize that it said ďneeds to be approved by mods,Ē so I thought it just wasnít going through. I think there are now half a dozen attempts at posting the pictures correctly in the moderator queue before I finally figured it out.

Blog Entries

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. Great place to hang out with a lot of helpful folks!

Denny

Hello and welcome to the forum!!!
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

Quote Originally Posted by LandoLando View Post
    Hello all, my name's Dave. I've been fly fishing for about five years opportunistically (read dry flies on lakes at the right time of year), and just this season started expanding my horizons by throwing streamers at my favorite lakes in the Uintas and doing a lot of nymphing and streamer fishing on the Provo river. I just fished the portneuf river last weekend and man that was some hard fishing! Very skittish fish, no room for back casting and lots of subsurface can vegetation. I only caught one ~12" rainbow, but learned a lot. Can't wait to learn more from you all!
    The line will cast where ever the rod points last: You don't have to back cast in the opposite direction of where you wish to cast. Back cast where you have room, then turn the rod to the direction you want the cast to go, and send it there. Find a Lefty Kreh basic course. Best of luck, welcome to the forum.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

11. Likes dennyk liked this post