Newbie - First Post

UpTheCreek

Reaction score
Hello fellow anglers. Decided to really commit to fly fishing this spring. I'm in Virginia Beach and plan on getting up to the Rapidan and some of the other Blue Ridge streams starting in March. I'm rebuilding a 7.5" fiberglass rod, about 5 wt. Should be perfect for chasing brookies. Picked up a Orvis reel and some DT-5, got some nymphs, steamers and dries. I grew up in Maine and used to fish for brookies with spinners and worms, but this will my first time using fly tackle. I've cast a fly rod several times, enough to know it will take considerable time to get good at it. I'll post some pics of my fly rod when done. I took it down to a blank and replacing the seat, guides and handle. Also post some pics of the speckled beauties that I hope to catch (and release). Also looking forward to going down to a nearby pond that is stocked with rainbows 5 times during the winter: North River State Park in Chesapeake, VA. Gonna rent a canoe and work on my casting, catch a few of the rainbows.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, I lived down your way for 14 months over in Sterling Point / Portsmouth but spent plenty of time in VA. Beach and over the bridge on the Eastern Shore. Most time in your town was at NAS Oceana. I'm one of those been around kinda guys.

dennyk

Reaction score
Hi UpTheCreek, you made a good choice by joining this forum, lots of great folks here. Looking forward to seeing your rebuild as well!

:welcomean

Denny

bocianka1

Reaction score
Catching fish on flies I tied myself is very rewarding. Learning to fly fish on a rod you rebuilt yourself will be even more gratifying. Good luck and share some pics so we can see how it's going. And welcome to the forum.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

vaheelsfan

Reaction score
Cool deal on rebuilding the rod. You can certainly fish for brookies with a 5wt but that will probably be an overkill for a lot of native streams. Feel free to send me a PM if you make it over the Blue Ridge and need any info!

UpTheCreek

Reaction score
As I'm sure you know the best fishing in this area is out in the bay or off-shore. I've always been a fresh water guy. Lots of trout streams about 4 hours away though.

UpTheCreek

Reaction score
Yeah When I pulled out my fly fishing gear from years in the closet I had a 8.5' Eagle Claw 8-wt rod with a Martin 66 (gonna be my bass rig) and the old 7.5' fiberglass rod I'm rebuilding. I tested the 7.5 with weight / flex method and was somewhat disappointed it isn't a 3 or 4 wt. But it will be a good all-around for now. I'm looking at building a 2 or 3 wt 6 foot rod which would probably be a better choice for small streams. Do you think 6 is too short? I read a couple things where you can mend better and reach to pools better with a longer rod.

hollisd

Reaction score
Get down to Mary's Restaurant and fill up on southern food before you go fishing.