Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Completely new to fishing

We got a cabin in Cedar Run, PA and from what I understand it's some of the best fly fishing in the east. I love being out there, tried once with nothing close to a hit.
    I know it's a bit tougher this time year and I know the trout are in deeper waters. Question how do I do I get the fly to sink? And what should I be using?
    Also since I know nothing, what would be the best book for a complete beginner? I don't even know anybody that fly fishes so I'm in the dark here.

2. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Default Re: Completely new to fishing

Welcome aboard Cedarrun, Make sure you get a license and understand the regulations before you go out.

For a good primer on fly fishing visit the Orvis Learning Center lots of good tips and videos.

How To Fly Fish For Trout, Bass & More | Learn Fly Fishing With Orvis

Also stick around ask questions use the search function to find topics that may have been discussed before.

In the spring many fly shops (including Orvis if it is in your area) and fly fishing clubs offer free lessons on casting, teach knots and the basics.

If you can afford it I strongly recommend seeking out certified casting instructor or a guide to help you learn the proper way to cast, that will move you light years ahead of learning on your own. There are 27 registered with Fly Fishers International in PA.

https://flyfishersinternational.org/...ng-Instructors

Most of all have fun!

Tim C.

For books

Curtis Creek Manifesto
    LL Bean Fly fishing handbook
    Orvis Guide to beginning fly fishing

Many others

Don't forget to search Vimeo and youtube for videos.

Regards,

Tim C.

5. Likes hairwing530, dennyk liked this post
    Blog Entries

Cedar is difficult fishing but you are close (5 miles or so) from the store at Slate. Unless Tom and Debbie have sold it, start there. I don't know who works the tackle shop at this time but that's ground zero for advice in the area. I think you will find that using the big creek as your place to learn casting among other things will be your best bet.

You are also within a decent drive from Kettle and should think on that as a destination too. You have the big Pine to start on, Kettle is a nice medium size for scaling down on and knowing what you are doing before getting into Cedar & Slate will be a good start. One thing for sure, don't be in a big hurry, avoid shortcuts, I fished every trickle of water that has a trout in it in your area and can tell you they offer some of the better dry fly & streamer fishing opportunities in North Central.

You're welcome to contact me if you fail to find anyone who really knows the area there.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

7. Likes dennyk, bocast liked this post
    Blog Entries

Welcome CederRun, we fish for trout year-round in Missouri's spring-fed creeks and rivers. Weather depending you may have Midges hatching out, sometimes the Bluewing Olives join in the fun. You can always go to YouTube and get great information on flies and techniques but nothing beats local information. I encourage you to hit the shops in your area and join a club if there is one in your area.

Bill

9. Likes Ard liked this post

Thanks for all the info. As of 2 months ago Tom and Debbie still own Slate Run Tackle Shop. I have talked to the guys in the fly shop but they were talking over my head. I did get a few business cards of people that guide and do lessons on the pine. Is $300 for 3 hours worth it if I don't know anything? I wanted to get better at casting before doing that. But maybe I'm wrong in that thinking?

Blog Entries

I would not pay 'anyone' and I mean anyone 300 at 100 per hour.

I learned what I know on my own, that is precisely why I said not to be in a hurry. I am a guide here in Alaska, I lived in PA. for most of my life. I charge people $375.00 for a full day fishing trip using my jet boat to reach remote locations, $500.00 for 2 people. A full day is a 12 hour trip with a meal at lunch and snacks water etc.

The price quoted to you makes me think I should move back to PA. Sorry to be so blunt but I find that shocking.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

12. Likes brownbass, falcon53, dennyk, cooutlaw, tx_newb liked this post
    Blog Entries

I have to agree with Ard. My advice is to take things slow and relax. See if there are any other shops in the area that will give you lessons for free. Read some books on the subject and watch some videos. You will pick up on things as you go. Keep an eye out for people you see on the river regularly, maybe some of them will help.

Bill

The Orvis and LL Bean Fly Fishing Fly Fishing Handbooks are where I learned some 30 years ago.

Check out the local Lancaster Orvis store at the outlets as they normally offer free flyfishing 101 classes at their retail stores.

Also check out one of the other fly shops in the area. The TCO in Reading or Boiling Springs comes to mind.

Paflyfish - Pennsylvania Fly Fishing Shops - PaFlyFish.com - Blog

To answer your question on "how to sink your fly" is tough because there are several ways to get your nymph down. Split shot, beads, lead weighted flies, tungsten putty,....... I use them all.

MM
    Last edited by flytie09; 02-03-2019 at 11:25 AM.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Check out the "Getting Started in Fly Fishing" series that Mad River Outfitters posted on YouTube. It provides really good basic information for anyone just starting to try fly fishing. If that series seems too basic to you, at least jump ahead to watch episode #9, "The Leader".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast