Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11

Default Hello from Minnesota

Hello from Minnesota! Iíve been fishing my entire life and have even dabbled in fly fishing a long time ago, but I am just now getting into the sport in earnest.

Iíve made a few posts on the site but never did a proper introduction so here I am!

Iíve been fishing for walleyeís and panfish for as long as I can remember, along with most of the other fish that swim in Minnesota lakes, but itís really duck hunting that Brought me here.

When I started duckhunting about 20 years ago I would meet a lot of older men that would say ď I used to duck huntĒ and I would wonder why they quit.

Iím not officially quitting duck hunting, but with the sport getting very commercialized, access getting harder and harder to come by, and the amount of effort it takes to freelance successfully, I just donít have the time or patience anymore.

In addition, guided trips Have gotten so expensive itís out of reach for most of our group.

After last fallís trip, I came home, once again, licking my wounds and decided I need something else to do in the fall.

One day I was poking around on the Internet and came across pictures of someoneís trip of the South Platte River. I quickly realized for the time I was spending driving to and from the middle of North Dakota and all my time scouting, I could easily be in Colorado or Montana, enjoying some of the most beautiful parts of our country, and all the sudden, I have the flyfishing bug!

Since then, my aspirations have already grown, iíve already spent time exploring the rivers and creeks in western Wisconsin and hope to take advantage of the driftless area thatís just outside my door. Access seems great, and there are lots of people willing to share info.

So far the people I have communicated with on this form and on others have been great people and Iím happy to be part of this community.

Jerryís already building me a 100 XL!

Anyways, thanks for all the advice so far. I look forward to writing and talking with you all the in the future.

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Likes brownbass, unknownflyman, flytie09 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello from Minnesota

Joe

Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing!
    Larry

4. Likes brownbass, Seabass77 liked this post
    Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your way thru
    Blog Entries

Great introduction Joe, Welcome!!

Hope to hear more from you

Kev

6. Likes Seabass77 liked this post

Hi Seabass,

Welcome. I'm pretty new here too.

I don't blame you on bagging the duck hunting thing. Of all the types of hunting I've done, duck hunting was by far the worst. In fact I just did it twice. I froze. Then I decided that the sound of duck calls are about as annoying as fingernails on a chalkboard. I mean - an elk bugle is fine. Same with coyote calls. Even a turkey call doesn't annoy me. But those stupid duck calls just get under my skin like crazy. Then my buddy got some ducks. I brought a few home to eat. The neighbor lady got all excited and asked if she could prepare them. I agreed and we went over for duck that night. They looked wonderful - she went all out and did this fancy cranberry decoration thing for them. I noticed the hint of an odd odor, but I didn't think much of it when I took my first taste. Those things were THE NASTIEST, most disgusting, creatures I've ever attempted to eat. I couldn't do it. Nobody at the table could eat it. It was like biting into hell. Everyone was just silent. Finally her husband said "Brooke, I can't eat this $@#^". HALLELUJAH!! We were saved! Brooke started crying, but I didn't care! At least I didn't have to eat it. It was like the apocalypse had been averted!

Anyway, I hope you have fun with your new venture into fly fishing.

8. Likes Seabass77 liked this post

I'm one of those "used to duck hunt" folks. And for the same reasons. Too many hunters down home made for too much pressure on the birds. Had to start building elaborate blinds the size of a small island and have a decoy set of 200 - 300 to have birds even consider coming in close enough for a shot.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and to the art (it's not a "sport" ).
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

10. Likes Seabass77 liked this post

Default Hello from Minnesota

Jerry is a good guy and you will be pleased with his flies. Welcome to the forum. Many great guys here who are willing to help and share their knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by smoke33; 02-10-2019 at 07:15 AM.

12. Likes Seabass77 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hi Joe and welcome to the forum and fly fishing! You came to the right place for instruction, don't be shy about asking alot of questions, people here are eager to lend a helping hand. Great introduction!

Denny

14. Likes Seabass77 liked this post

Welcome aboard Joe. Glad to have you here.

ďIf I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.Ē
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

16. Likes Seabass77 liked this post