Hello from South/East Ohio

hawk45

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!
I'm a newer fisherman in general as I'm getting more personal free time in my life. Good friend of mine got me into kayak fishing on the Whitewater River near Cincinnati, mostly for smallmouth bass on spinning tackle.
I'm now interested in getting into some fly fishing as well and looking for my first gear/rod/reel setup within a smaller budget.

Looking forward to reading lots of the forum this weekend and watching the Masters.

Hawk

ejsell

Reaction score
Welcome from NW Ohio. I started with an LLBean combo. They seem to have moved to offering 20% to 25% off around the beginning of the month for the last several months or during holidays. Right now they have 25% off if you use their CC card. And some nice deals on rods under their sale section. A 5wt. Quest II 4piece with reel, line and tube for $109. Plus the extra 25% off. That is a great starter rod and price. They ship fast and free with the CC and free shipping on returns with the CC or very little hassle returning to the store.

My favorite smallie rod for river fishing is an LLBean 5wt. I've caught a lot of sunfish, bass, carp and a few catfish and steelhead with it. If you plan on venturing north for steelhead or the Ohio River for wipers you will eventually want a 7 wt. Bass Pro or Cabelas in your area will offer free casting lessons. Just check their schedule.

Good luck, within a year of starting I had 3 rods. Now I'm up to 5 and am on the low end compared to most on this forum.

Jeff

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ard

hawk45

Reaction score
Welcome from NW Ohio. I started with an LLBean combo. They seem to have moved to offering 20% to 25% off around the beginning of the month for the last several months or during holidays. Right now they have 25% off if you use their CC card. And some nice deals on rods under their sale section. A 5wt. Quest II 4piece with reel, line and tube for $109. Plus the extra 25% off. That is a great starter rod and price. They ship fast and free with the CC and free shipping on returns with the CC or very little hassle returning to the store.

My favorite smallie rod for river fishing is an LLBean 5wt. I've caught a lot of sunfish, bass, carp and a few catfish and steelhead with it. If you plan on venturing north for steelhead or the Ohio River for wipers you will eventually want a 7 wt. Bass Pro or Cabelas in your area will offer free casting lessons. Just check their schedule.

Good luck, within a year of starting I had 3 rods. Now I'm up to 5 and am on the low end compared to most on this forum.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I'll check that out. I talked to a local shop/guide around here (really high end stuff though) and he recommended starting with a 7wt medium-fast or fast for bass on our smaller local rivers (Whitewater, Little Miami, etc). So hard to decide when I see people recommending 5wt to 8wt. We've been known to pull some big stripers when fishing for SM and the occasional carp.

ejsell

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff, I'll check that out. I talked to a local shop/guide around here (really high end stuff though) and he recommended starting with a 7wt medium-fast or fast for bass on our smaller local rivers (Whitewater, Little Miami, etc). So hard to decide when I see people recommending 5wt to 8wt. We've been known to pull some big stripers when fishing for SM and the occasional carp.
My 7wt. is an Allen rod. They are a sponsor on this site and have great rods and customer service. They also run some great deals. That rod I use primarily for steelhead and windy conditions at an up-ground reservoir. It's great for large streamers but it's also a 10ft rod and might be more difficult to handle on a kayak or with a lot of overhanging branches. My 8wt is pretty much reserved for beach/salt or if I ever get back to where salmon run.

So basically different rods for different situations and tastes.

hawk45

Reaction score
My 7wt. is an Allen rod. They are a sponsor on this site and have great rods and customer service. They also run some great deals. That rod I use primarily for steelhead and windy conditions at an up-ground reservoir. It's great for large streamers but it's also a 10ft rod and might be more difficult to handle on a kayak or with a lot of overhanging branches. My 8wt is pretty much reserved for beach/salt or if I ever get back to where salmon run.

So basically different rods for different situations and tastes.

I've looked at the Allen gear online a little and seems to have a good following and reputation.
I'm planning on doing all my fly fishing wadding. Most times we just use the kayaks to get access on the rivers.. and they hold beer really well.

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Hawk. Lots of good people on here willing to help a beginner, so don't be afraid to ask question.

steve

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I'd call quick results, welcome Hawk :)

You're gonna find a few Ohio members here but Jeff is always willing to take the lead.

JimK

Reaction score
I know those waters well. Grew up in Milford, right on the banks of the Little Miami. It's been 40 years since I've fished those rivers and my experience predates fly fishing. If I was going to fish those rivers today I would take my 5wt, but only because I don't have a 6wt. I think the 6 would be a better option at this point. You need to be throwing some bulkier flies; crawfish, muddlers, etc, and the 6 should handle those better. We used to catch a lot of SM & sauger on the Little Miami with the occasional LM, nothing huge by any means but tons of fun for teenagers.

If you're going to fish the Little Miami you might want to check out East Fork (of the Little Miami). It's smaller than the mainstream but has (or had) more wadeable water.