Intro...

SDMT

Reaction score
I"m an Over The Road truck driver. Haven't done any fly fishing in 18 years. A couple weeks ago. Got a call on Friday. My Sat. delivery in Billings was pushed back to Monday. I was just west of Missoula.
Took a float trip down the Bitterroot on Sat.
I realize the Yellowstone area would have been a better choice. Missoula is kinda homey to me. Lived in Big Fork for a year. Also Billings.

I almost died 15 years ago. Diabetes causing weight loss. Spend years rehabilitating. Then had an accident falling on ice, 6 years ago. So I'm doing better. But can't hike a long ways. Working on it though! I've run three marathons in my life.

I decided to get back into fly fishing. I can fish anywhere in the country. If I can get the time.
Got me a one year non resident license for Montana.
Very interested in the Driftless region. I go in and out of Minneapolis alot.
I live in the Black Hills of SD. Yes, there's fishing there.
I bought everything I needed from Yellowstone Anglers. Fenwick 9'5wt rod. Orvis Battenkill reel. Waders and boots. Net. Everything.... Also a note from YA about where I can stop my truck and fish.

Before, I had gone nuts having to have everything. Sage rods. Ross reel. Expensive fly tying vise. It was kinda nutty. I now am interested in keeping it minimal and smart.
The float trip I was on. Provided me an Orvis Clearwater rod. I was impressed. Rods have gotten better. Personally... I would rather have a little more strength to the rod. Which is why I got what I got.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score