Saying HI

CoS FlyGuy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been browsing for a bit...but figured I'd finally take the plunge and start contributing my own thoughts and questions.

I started fly fishing a little over a year ago. Largely self taught through youtube videos and trial and error. It took me 4-5 months to get my first trout in the net, but the sport really started clicking for me earlier this year...pretty shortly after I decided to start tying my own flies and digging into entomology a bit.

I'm based out of Colorado Springs, so the South Platte is my home river. 11 Mile is 45 minutes from my front door, so that's where we go for the quick fishing. If it's a week day afternoon I'll go throw a San Juan worm in No Name Creek, there's some solid fishing in that creek too.

Mostly nymph because that's what it calls for on the South Platte, but I love dries and as soon as I see a surface feeder I throw on a BWO or a PMD.

Slowly branching out to the Arkansas over by Salida and up through Leadville and am looking at fishing the Gunnison some later this summer as well.

Would love to eventually make it out to Lee's Ferry and do some fishing up in the Tetons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum,

I lived in the Springs for quite awhile, one thing I never did was tell anyone about the creek you named. Don't be offended but I removed the creek name. I've been fishing for quite a while and one thing I'll share with anyone just starting out is do not, I mean do not tell everyone when you find good fishing somewhere that everyone seems to overlook. I have seen some incredible spots ruined because of loose lips. You find something good keep it to yourself, others will stumble in sooner or later but why advertise?

That advice could be more valuable to you in the long run than this years Gear Review issue of Fly Fisherman Magazine :)

Ard

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Great place to hang out; lots of good people on here.

steve

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
COS

Welcome to the forum!

I also lived in Colorado Springs during the early 80's, a beautiful part of Colorado with some great fishing.
Runoff will be interesting this year with all the snow you guys received.

CoS FlyGuy

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Fished 11 Mile today and whiffed. Dam release put tons of grass in the water and you couldn't get a cast out without catching some green.

Kevin, let me know when you're in Southern Colorado. Would be glad to throw a line in the water.

myt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum,

I lived in the Springs for quite awhile, one thing I never did was tell anyone about the creek you named. Don't be offended but I removed the creek name. I've been fishing for quite a while and one thing I'll share with anyone just starting out is do not, I mean do not tell everyone when you find good fishing somewhere that everyone seems to overlook. I have seen some incredible spots ruined because of loose lips. You find something good keep it to yourself, others will stumble in sooner or later but why advertise?

That advice could be more valuable to you in the long run than this years Gear Review issue of Fly Fisherman Magazine :)

Ard
No wonder my google search of No Name Creek came up empty.:)

CoS FlyGuy

Reaction score
No wonder my google search of No Name Creek came up empty.:)
It's honestly a creek we are wanting to get more folks into.

It runs through the core of the city and has been neglected by the city/county and the banks have been over run with a few homeless camps.

We've been told by folks in the city that the more folks who use the creek the more funding they can dedicate to rehabilitation. There's a group of us actively fishing it and trying to recruit more people to use it.

kevind62

Reaction score
Actually, if the city would do something about the vagabonds they would likely have more folks use the creek for recreation. No one wants to hang out close to these types of areas and leave their vehicles unattended. I've fished a couple of places in CO like this. I kept my vehicle in plain view at all times. I'd see a few wonder towards it then see me and casually walk the other way. (the gov't uses the term "homeless" too loosely today. They classify anyone who doesn't have a residence and a job as "homeless". 90% of these folks are not true "homeless" people. They're vagabonds.) CO seems to be overrun with these folks.

kevind62

Reaction score
Yeah, the No Name Creek is a well known creek that's never fished because of that very reason. The first time I stopped in Angler's Covey I asked if there were any fish in the creek that ran behind the shop and the said yes, but they highly recommended not fishing it due to the lack of water quality and vagabond trash on the banks and in the water. It's a shame that the city doesn't do something and that the people of the city don't care and keep electing these officials that continuously do nothing for the beauty and quality of the area.