Old but new

Corkring

Reaction score
Men, women, and children of all ages...

Wild Wonderful WV is home.

I started fly casting at the age of 10 using a Berkley 8wt fiberglass rod. My godfather put it in my hands and without any instruction told me to keep casting at a bucket and when I was hitting it regularly to back up and keep practicing. Snap forward fifty odd years and I have a few rods and reels and while I do "okay" casting I still take classes and get instruction as often as I can to fix all the errors due to my total lack of instruction.

My wife and I travel around and she hikes and finds things while I fish. I target trout and smallmouth bass, occasionally largemouth bass and bluegill. I really want to try steelhead and when we hit the lottery we would like to try Iceland and Canada. Someday, we need to play the lottery too.

I tie what look like flies, to someone, occasionally a fish but don't produce enough to avoid buying most of the ones I use.

I am considering building a 3wt since that is about the only rod weight I don't have that I think I need, or have at least convinced myself and my wife that I still need...until I find another species to target.

I look forward to reading about the exploits of other fly fishers and hope this forum is not like a significant number of others where members start downing others and being critical as that does not encourage participation and foster communication.

God bless!

Steve

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Steve

Welcome to the forum!
You will find this forum a very friendly place. We get rid of those that want to make it otherwise.

dennyk

Reaction score
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. This is the only forum I belong to so that says alot. You're going to like it here!

:welcomean

Denny

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Welcome Steve. Folks that don't want to place nice get taken behind the woodshed. :) That said, we have some spirited debate now and then. I get told I'm wrong a couple times a week here. It's all good.

ratherfish

Reaction score
Welcome Steve - your intro reminds me of... well me. I don't always know what I need and don't need, and try to convince myself to get it just to be on the safe side. I also tie "flies" and I think fish bite them because they are scared of them. I suspect they sit down they and the conversation goes something like this:

"what the heck is that, you ever seen one of them before? No man, that's just weird, I wonder were it came from. I don't know, what do you think we should do about it? Well it needs to be eaten before it makes any babies and they destroy the neighborhood. You gonna eat it then? Let's rock-paper-scissors best 2 out of 3 - loser has to eat it."

Anyway, welcome, come on in, sit down and have a cup of coffee, or whatever you like - oh, and pinch your barbs, forget its because their easier to remove from the dumb fish, bottom line is, their easier to remove from the back of you arm. ;)

bocianka1

Reaction score
- oh, and pinch your barbs, forget its because their easier to remove from the dumb fish, bottom line is, their easier to remove from the back of you arm. ;)
Or if you fish droppers regularly, you'll find pinched barbs are much easier to unsnag from your vest. I have field tested this theory extensively.

Welcome to the forum. Hope to see some pics of your flies some time. They can't be any worse than mine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk