Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17

Thread: Old but new

Default Old but new

Men, women, and children of all ages...

Wild Wonderful WV is home.

I started fly casting at the age of 10 using a Berkley 8wt fiberglass rod. My godfather put it in my hands and without any instruction told me to keep casting at a bucket and when I was hitting it regularly to back up and keep practicing. Snap forward fifty odd years and I have a few rods and reels and while I do "okay" casting I still take classes and get instruction as often as I can to fix all the errors due to my total lack of instruction.

My wife and I travel around and she hikes and finds things while I fish. I target trout and smallmouth bass, occasionally largemouth bass and bluegill. I really want to try steelhead and when we hit the lottery we would like to try Iceland and Canada. Someday, we need to play the lottery too.

I tie what look like flies, to someone, occasionally a fish but don't produce enough to avoid buying most of the ones I use.

I am considering building a 3wt since that is about the only rod weight I don't have that I think I need, or have at least convinced myself and my wife that I still need...until I find another species to target.

I look forward to reading about the exploits of other fly fishers and hope this forum is not like a significant number of others where members start downing others and being critical as that does not encourage participation and foster communication.

God bless!

Steve

Blog Entries

Default Re: Old but new

Steve

Welcome to the forum!
    You will find this forum a very friendly place. We get rid of those that want to make it otherwise.
    Larry

3. Likes wthorpe, Corkring, dennyk liked this post

Lots of great reading here. Enjoy!

5. Likes Corkring liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. This is the only forum I belong to so that says alot. You're going to like it here!

Denny

7. Likes Corkring liked this post

Welcome Steve. Folks that don't want to place nice get taken behind the woodshed. That said, we have some spirited debate now and then. I get told I'm wrong a couple times a week here. It's all good.

9. Likes Corkring liked this post
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum, Steve.

steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

11. Likes Corkring liked this post

Welcome Steve - your intro reminds me of... well me. I don't always know what I need and don't need, and try to convince myself to get it just to be on the safe side. I also tie "flies" and I think fish bite them because they are scared of them. I suspect they sit down they and the conversation goes something like this:

"what the heck is that, you ever seen one of them before? No man, that's just weird, I wonder were it came from. I don't know, what do you think we should do about it? Well it needs to be eaten before it makes any babies and they destroy the neighborhood. You gonna eat it then? Let's rock-paper-scissors best 2 out of 3 - loser has to eat it."

Anyway, welcome, come on in, sit down and have a cup of coffee, or whatever you like - oh, and pinch your barbs, forget its because their easier to remove from the dumb fish, bottom line is, their easier to remove from the back of you arm.

13. Likes Corkring liked this post
    Blog Entries

Steve....a lot of friendly and experienced members here.

15. Likes Corkring liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ratherfish View Post
    - oh, and pinch your barbs, forget its because their easier to remove from the dumb fish, bottom line is, their easier to remove from the back of you arm.
    Or if you fish droppers regularly, you'll find pinched barbs are much easier to unsnag from your vest. I have field tested this theory extensively.

Welcome to the forum. Hope to see some pics of your flies some time. They can't be any worse than mine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    If you don't like fishing, then you're not a good person.

17. Likes ratherfish liked this post

Welcome to the forum!
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."