Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: hello!!!

1. Default hello!!!

Hi......
    Chuck here,from the midwest. Not much flyfishing these last couple of months! Everythings still frozen! So I'm doing a lot of tying....Whitlock is my hero! along with Bob Clouser, Jack Dennis, Gary Lafontaine (RIP) ECT...
    I'm also starting to build flyrods. Any tips?

Default Re: hello!!!

Hey Chuck,

Welcome to the board, glad you found us. Here's a recent thread that may be helpful. The embedded link to the late Al Campbell's article on building should be a good one for you and the mudhole and rodbuilders' site is also a great resource, as well as all the folks here that build.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...info-8945.html

For your first build, you might also consider a kit, with blank and components including a preformed grip. It takes a lot of the guess work out of it. You can find some pretty good deals from Ron at Hook and Hackle Hook & Hackle Fly Fishing Tackle, Fly Fishing Supplies, Fly Tying Supplies and Fly Rod Building Supplies and there are a bunch of other places I'm sure folks can recommend.

There is also a decent book by L A Garcia on Building Graphite Fly Rods-- about 15 bucks or so, that might be a good choice, along with Al's article, to get you through the process.

Once again, welcome to the board, Ask questions, jump in on discussions and tell us how your build is going.

peregrines

3. Default Re: hello!!!

Thanks, peregrines!!! I'll check out those sites, and get started on my next rod.