Hi All, need bass gear advice

tonyb

Reaction score
I'm a new member looking forward to returning to fly fishing after a 30 year hiatus. I'm looking for advice on buying a rod, reel and line to be used mostly for bass fishing at a nearby lake in Norhern VA, but for all around use as well. I will usually be wading but also will be using a canoe. I'm willing to spend about $500. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've looked at some reviews on the new Sage Flight 9' 6 wt, the Sage Launch, the TFO Professional and TFO TiCrX in the same configuration. Thanks in advance.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Any of those rods except the TiCRX would be a good pick. The TiCRX is super stiff and not a good match for most casters. The TiCR is a fast rod, but much more manageable.

I would pair it with a Lamson Konic reel and a SA Mastery Headstart line. Grab some 8lb bass leaders, some Clouser minnows and bead head wolly buggers and you're good to go.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Hey Tony,

Welcome to the board.

Cliff has given you great advice on gear and you should be able to come under budget.

You should have a blast, the clousers and buggers are great choices, and add a few poppers when the weather warms for some fun on top.

You have a great advantage over other folks just starting out, since you do have some FF experience. It would be great to actually cast a few different rods to see what feels best for your stroke. I'm sure one of those rods you mentioned will leap out at you and say "buy me".

Good luck, and feel free to ask questions and jump in on discussions. There's also a lot of good info on the warmwater forum for you.

mark

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi tonyb,

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to fly fishing. Of the rods you have listed I would pick the Sage Flight. American made and a lot of rod for the money. Check out the reviews. I have not heard anyone say a bad thing about the Flight. I don't think you are going to find a better rod for $330. You might want to add the St Croix to your list. The Ultra is a good rod in that same price range. If you can, cast both rods before you make your choice.

I wonder about your choice of a 6wt. Three things may influence the rod weight. How much wind, how big are the fish and how big of a fly do you want to toss? A lot of people use a 6wt and it fits their fishing. Other people want a heavier rod because they are casting big flies. A big fly with some wind may be too much for a 6wt.

Frank

tonyb

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice. I'm looking forward to getting back to FF. I appreciate the feedback.

tonyb

Reaction score
Frank,

Most of the bass are less than a few pounds but the lake does have some much larger bass - 7 lb + and also has muskie. Eventually, I'll buy a 3 or 4 wt for trout streams so you're thinking maybe I should move up to an 8 wt for the lake fishing? It does get windy at times. Thanks again.

HookEmHorns

Reaction score
I would say to move up to the 8 wt. I think that a mid flex rod would be good as well. Or maybe something like a Mid-Tip flex. It would speed up the line if you had the tip flex it would help speed up the line speed, cutting through the wind in the process. The mid flex would be better if you got a hard hit by a big bass or muskie, absorbing some of the shock to the line so that they won't break off the tippet as easily. I don't think that you will have a problem with that though, because most bass leaders are pretty big. They aren't usually as skiddish as the trout or as picky. lol I would say that the mid flex would be good, but if you could get the mid-tip flex it would be best. Kind of get a compromise of both of the rods. THe bigger rod would help cast those big flies as well. It takes a lot more to get a wolly bugger or popper through the air than it does a royal wulff. lol I feel like I am just saying the same as has already been stated, so I'll stop... haha!

HookEmHorns

tonyb

Reaction score
Thanks. Can you recommend any specific 8 wt rods in the mid-tip flex category?

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi tonyb,

I am a fan of 8wt rods. If you are fishing for Largemouth Bass then I would pick an 8wt. You may be casting big poppers and other top water files. For subsurface flies you might be using big bunny flies and other large streamers. In these cases I would want to be using an 8wt. For sure if you are using these big baits in the wind or heavy cover.

Now if you are fishing for Smallmouth then your 6wt or maybe a 7wt may be a good choice. Smallmouth are usually in more open water while the Largemouth is mostly in heavy cover.

Frank

jimw

Reaction score
Hey Tony

If your are in NOVA i would go with an 8wt because before you know it you will be fishing the bay for Rock !! But then again if you really get into you will have 3 or 4 set ups like the rest of us. So maybe you should look at going with odd wieghts or even wieghts??? I don't think there is a rod that can do it all, you have many fishing choices in your area. Welcome back to the sport.

tonyb

Reaction score
Frank and Jim,

Thanks. Based on your collective feedback, I'm definitely going with the 8 wt. Forces me to buy a second rod at some point for trout - not a bad thing :)

I wasn't thinking about the Rocks in the Bay but that's a great point. I've fished for them a few times on some guided boats so using the fly rod should be a blast.