Hey there from Nebraska/Minnesota

NorthStar

Reaction score
Grew up in Minnesota but now I'm at school in Omaha, Nebraska for 8 months of the year. Anybody know of any decent fishing spots or lakes in general near Omaha? Other than Carter Lake where the fish practically glow from all the pollution... :icon_eek:

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi NorthStar,

I can't help with the fishing spots but welcome to the forum.

Come to think about it the Platte, the North Platte and the South Platte are all in Southern Nebraska. I think the Platte runs through Omaha. Must be some fishing there some where.

Frank

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Hey Northstar, welcome to the forum. I can’t help much with spots in Nebraska either based on any personal experience, but here’s a link to the Nebraska Fish and Game Fishing page:
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission - Fishing Section

You’ll find a list of stocked waters, and you can download a pdf copy of their 2009 Fishing Guide which will give you info on fishing waters by county, access and species etc. And there are also links from the page for a stocking report and creel census of different lakes (found in their sampling reports) to help identify waters that might be the most productive.

You are probably spending all your waking time in class or the library..... but if you get a chance to take a break you can also do a search for local fly fishing clubs.

There’s a Trout Unlimited Chapter in Omaha TU Nebraska Chapter 710 - Home and a club in Lincoln NE that is affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers that’s about an hour away from you Cornhusker Fly Fishers

Good luck,

mark