Joining the Group

Wade

Reaction score
Tight lines, everyone.

I'm a semi-retired 56-year old medical and research pathologist who has had
fly fishing as a passion since the age of 10.

Fortunately, I grew up in the western foothills of NY's Catskill mountains. My earliest days of fishing involved some worm dunking as well as some very crude
fly tieing and fishing with an old fiberglass fly rod. My first fly vise probably cost about $3.50, often scored my (cheap) hooks causing, you guessed it, breakoff after breakoff at the hook bend.

Growing up on a small farm in wildlife-rich Otsego County, it was seldom I didn't have a fishing rod, gun, bow, trap, or little Kodak Brownie camera in my hands once chores and homework were done. While many of my friends sat around playing cards or watching our small black and white TV, I was outside, roaming the miles of beautiful fields, woods, streams and swamp thickets that surrounded "The Grove". By the age of 14, my friends called me "Hiawatha!"
Fine by me...

My values pretty much reflect a conservative Christian farmboy (though unlike most Christians, I observe the Biblical Sabbath observed by Christ, both in His life and in His death). I have a passion for conservation and truely believe mankind is God's "Farm Boss" with respect to the earth. BUT, I am not radical,
and reject violent approaches to solving our environmental problems.

I've served as a practicing Anatomic and Clinical pathologist at the former Boston VA Medical Center and the current West Roxbury VA Medical Center. With the help of two very competent laboratory technicians and the Medical Center's financial support, we built a leukemia/lymphoma diagnostic laboratory that ultimately became the leukemia/lymphoma diagnostic laboratory for the entire northeast VA Medical Center system.

Due to an unfortunate fall in the fall of 2003, I broke my spine and partially severed my lower spinal cord...the result was that I have lost my sense of
balance and have impaired lower limb mobility with loss of touch but replaced
by 24/7 intense nerve pain. Tends to be a real bummer!

My rehabilitation has been slow but lately has been picking up a bit. I am most hopeful of returning to work within a year. My wife has been a constant
motivator and supporter as have my three daughters.

Well, I guess that's enough to let you know who I am and what may be like.

I look forward to the forum discussions.

My best to all,
Doc Wade

BigCliff

Reaction score
Welcome to the group! Feel free to pick and fill our brains with the wisdom you need and have.

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Hello Doc::welcomean

I'm glade to see we could finally get you on board. Welcome to the forum. We have a great bunch of folks here. Thanks for joining and thanks for that wonderful story on you and fly fishing.

If you ever need anything at all just let us know.

Thanks,
Steve