Novice from STL

kevthebassman

Reaction score
Hello to all and thank you for such a wonderful site, a true wealth of information.

A little bit about me:

I'm a 24 year old father and husband, born and raised just outside St. Louis County, MO. I got big into bass fishing in my teens, had a boat and more rods, reels, and tackle than I needed by the time I was 18. I still have the rods and reels, and the passion to fish, but the boat had to go.

When I sold the boat, it wasn't a big loss, as I had already discovered wading smaller rivers for smallmouth, usually the Meramec up around Cuba/Steelville area. While doing that, I've caught a very few trout, a couple as long as my arm, on 6 or 8 pound line with 1/4 oz mepp's spinners, which got me interested in doing some more trout fishing.

As the topic says, I'm a complete novice at fly fishing, but I am passionate about fishing in general and quite the fisherman when it comes to spinning and baitcasting tackle. I'm an expert, just ask me! :D

Fly fishing is my new thing, I have yet to even make a successful fly cast. I've got an acquaintance who is a pretty accomplished fly fisher, and I hope to get some instruction from him, and from the local shop.

I looked into the Ozark fly fishing classes, as they are held close to where I live, but unfortunately I work second shift, and the classes are held in the evenings on the weeknights. I would welcome the chance to work with anyone local to me on casting, fly selection and tying, and the overall basics of the sport.

cattech89

Reaction score
Welcome Kev,
Youve come to the right place to cut your fly fishing teeth. Happy to have you join the community and I look forward to hearing about your progression as a fly fisherman.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:welcomean Kev looking forward to reading your posts and reports.Fell free to ask questions,there are lots af experienced flyfishermen here to help you.;)

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi kevthebassman,

If you are close to St Louis then Feather-Craft gives free casting lessons every Saturday morning. I don't know about Winter time though. I would give them a call and see what they can do for you. 1-800-659-1707

Or, better yet just stop by and have a great time looking at all the fly fishing gear. Everyone who works there is very knowledgeable about fly fishing. They have a full selection of rods from most manufactures.

Frank

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Kev,

Frank has said more than I would have known. Excellent info there! Welcome to the forum and I hope you become an active poster here.

Ard

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Hey Kevin welcome aboard-- you have lot of great fishing there in the the Missouri trout parks and in streams like the Meramac-- (whenever i was traveling through St Louis, I always used to take some extra time to fish the area around cardiac hill, and it was always a treat). And since you've been a very successful bass fisherman you can put a lot of that to good use too when you start terrorizing those same largemouth and smallmouth with a fly rod.

You're also blessed with some great fly shops--- In addition to Feather-Craft Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies, Fly Tying Materials | Sage Rods | Simms Waders | Since 1955

there's also T. Hargrove THargroveInc

Both are excellent shops with great folks.

Although working the 2nd shift might make it difficult to make a lot of meetings, you might want to consider looking into a local fly fishing group-- like a local Trout Unlimited chapter or a FF club affiliated with e Federation of Fly Fishers. Most will have casting clinics, informative meetings tying classes and group trips to local waters. It's a great way to speed up the learning process.

For find local TU chapters
Council/Chapter Contacts | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

For local FFF affiliated clubs:
Locate a Club

As you get into it you'll probably have tons of questions so feel free to shout-- lots of folks here that can help get you going. There's also a lot of info in the FAQ sectiosn and in past threads to browse through that might help-- or lead to more questions.

Good luck!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Kev: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of Fly Fishing! We have lots of folks on this forum that are more than willing to help, so don't hesitate to ask questions.

Larry

caseywise

Reaction score
welcome to the forum kev. sounds like you have some nice options for honing your fly fishing skills down there. i'll look forward to hearing about your experiences. so being from stl, i'm gonna assume you're a cardinals fan. that being said........

go cubs!:D:D:D

casey

Reaction score
Casey- I'm so sorry :D

Kev- If there were one bit of advise I could impart to you, it'd be to take a stroll down Manchester to T. Hargrove's shop in Rock Hill. It's a real cool, mom-and-pop type flyshop, with a friendly, cordial, and knowledgeable staff and a slew of regulars- hang around there a while and you'l learn everything you need to know about fly-fishing in Missouri, and a bunch of other places in the states and abroad.

If you haven't already, I'd try to find a copy of Chuck Tryon's book Fly Fishing for Trout in Missouri. It may be out of print, but available at your local library or on Amazon. It goes into pretty good detail about the mechanics of fly fishing, lines, leaders, tippet, knots, hatches, and places in Missouri to fish for trout, and is an excellent resource. I'd also look into the Ozark Fly Fishers- it's a pretty active group of St. Louis based flyfishing club and, although they do meet during evenings, they often have fly-tying seminars and other events on weekends.

Good luck!

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Welcome. What part of St. Louis? I lived in Affton 20 years ago. Is Busch Memorial Fishing Lakes Area still operating? I used to fish there a hundred days a year back in the day. If it is, lakes 31 and 33 were good spots. I also fished the Green River and the Meramec. Also, there was a trout park near Lebanon I think. I used to hike a mile or so downstream and fish all the way back. Caught some nice fish in there.

kevthebassman

Reaction score
Casey, I'm sorry buddy. It's been what, close to a century now since the Cubs have won it all? ;)

Thank you all for your replies. I've been up to feathercraft, but I did not know we had another fly shop in town. I will have to check out Hargrove's shop as well.

I live in Affton, so feathercraft is just a short drive away. They are having classes in the winter, but today was about 20 degrees and windy, so I doubt they had any takers. Busch is still open, I haven't been there in a long time, though I may have to go check out those lakes.

I'm sure that once this weather breaks and I get a rod in my hand, I'll have plenty of questions to go around. Thanks again guys.