Gabrial Diaz Medina...My Friend

bbanking

Reaction score
Many of you know that I own and operate a fly fishing outfitter service in Mexico's Yucatan. With that said, I would like to tell you a story that is very significant to me. Five years ago I met a man from the Yucatan on the internet. It was a chance bulletin board meeting and did not seem very important to me the day it happened. We had similar interests in fishing and how people should be treated when they were a paying client. After months of email corresponding, I decided to take an extended fishing vacation in Mexico. I wrote my new friend and asked him if he wanted to join me and he gladly took me up on my offer. I drove straight through from Houston to Chetumal in 39 hours, spent the night at the Airport Motel in Chetumal and the next morning, started fresh for Playa del Carmen. The following day Tuza and a friend joined me in Playa and we set out on an adventure that would give me memories to last the rest of my life. He introduced me to some excellent fishermen and guides from Punta Allen to San Felipe de Yucatan. We ate great food, drank cold beer, fished, laughed, talked and had a lot of "what if" conversations. Little did I know then how much I would come to like and rely on him. His friends called him Tuza, a nickname his wife did not care much for. He was not a large man but Tuza cast a giant shadow. He had friends or family in every town we encountered and he always wanted to take a few minutes to visit. Tuza had an excellent command of the english language and understood american humor. He always smiled even when he was serious. At the end of our trip Tuza agreed to be my operations manager in Cozumel and San Felipe and Pesca Mexicana soon opened its website for business. Together we hand picked our guides (I think three of the best guides in Mexico). Tuza was an excellent operations manager and NEVER failed to find waiting clients and get them to the boat where the guide was always eager to get started. He also handled the grocery shopping and his wife Carmen prepared the meals. I never had anything but compliments on Tuza and our guides. Our repeat business and client testimony told me we were supplying the service that our clients expected and deserved. I am greatly saddened to tell you that Tuza died from a heart attack on 8/6/2006 at 7:00 PM in the evening. Tuza passed away at home while watching TV and talking to his daughters as Carmen prepared dinner. Tuza was 48 years old, had a lovely family, was a great husband, father and friend and I will miss him dearly. His passing leaves an empty spot in my life. My wife always tells me that people come into my life for a season, a reason or a lifetime. The last two are true for my valued friend Tuza. I am honored to have called him a friend and business associate. If you ever had the opportunity to meet or fish with Tuza, you will share my sadness. Tom Martin, President, Pesca Mexicana

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
Tom,
Sorry to hear about your lost. I will keep you and his family in my prayers.
Peace be with you,
Terry