Guide Recommendations Puerto Morelos Mexico

minnphatts

Reaction score
I also put this in the Saltwater forum, the saw this section might be more appropriate.

Wondering if anyone has any guide recommendations for the Puerto Morelos area in mid February?

I'll be spending most of the time with the family, but I'm going to get out for a 4-6 hour outing with a guide.

I can't figure out what's the best option for a shorter outing from Puerto Morelos. Cozumel flats? Nichupte Lagoon behind the hotel zone in Cancun, Isla Blanca? It seems like Ascension Bay might be too far?

I also am hoping to fish early mornings from the beach just south of the El Cid Marina, any suggestions?

Thanks!

minnphatts

Reaction score
Yes, Minneapolis.

Here's a link to my fly fishing blog, most reports are trout from the Driftless area of SE Minnesota /Wisconsin, though I do fish up in Northern Minnesota as well:

Thanks for the welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pocono

Reaction score
Try Yellow Dog. They have a program in many locations where they'll pick you up at your hotel and take you to fish locally.

Yellow Dog Fly Fishing Adventures - Mexico: information - Bozeman, MT

Getting to Ascension Bay will take you a couple of hours from PM; possibly longer. Boca Pailla would be the closest outfitter on the strip down from Tulum.

We fished out of Pesca Maya a couple of years ago and loved it; both the fishing and the lodge/people.

You might want to think about stretching your time to a full day; even if you have business commitments. You can do a lot of business at night over dinner; when the fishing is not as apt to be a competing concern......................;)

Pocono

minnphatts

Reaction score
I do occasionally make up to Rainy, LOW and Upper Red.

Thanks for the tips.

I think I'm leaning towards Isla Blanca or Cozumel, given the limited time I have to fish. Most responses have indicated that Ascension Bay is kind of a long drive if you're looking for a quicker outing.

minnphatts

Reaction score
I ended up heading out to Cozumel to fish with guide Alex Martin.

The fishing could have been better, but Alex did a great job, and it was a fun day!

Last edited by a moderator: