Headed for Belize!

gbanker

Reaction score
Wife and I are headed for Belize in early November. Going to stay at Turneffe Flats Lodge for a week. Plan on bringing 8 wts for bonefish, 10 wts for barracuda and permit and an 11 wt for tarpon. Have I covered all the bases? Will try to take some pictures and post upon returning.

Pocono

Reaction score
My wife and I were at Turneffe Flats 2 years ago. You'll enjoy your stay; great fishing, friendly people, great hosts and knowledgeable guides.

For the Bones, I fished a 7 wt.; overlined with an 8 or 9 wt. line. My wife fished an 8 wt. rod overlined with a 9 wt. line. The Bones at Turneffe are not that large, but the wind is always up; hence the lighter rod/heavier line. For Permit you'll probably be in the lagoon; much less wind than on the outside flats where the Bones are; we used 9 wt. rods/9 wt. line and they worked fine. We didn't see any Tarpon, but I had my 11 wt. rod/11 wt. line with me; just in case.................!

Pocono

mamachong1

Reaction score
we spent honeymoon/fishing trip <ha-ha..in belize,,,stayed almost a month,,what GREAT FISHING,,WE HAD THE MOST FUN @south water caye,bones were all over upon landing the boat on arrival,barely got luggage out tryin to grab rods to start casting,,tarpon too!--wifey nailed a 19 pound grey jack all on her own,,,,oooooooh,,,wishin I was fishin~!

chechem

Reaction score
we spent honeymoon/fishing trip <ha-ha..in belize,,,stayed almost a month,,what GREAT FISHING,,WE HAD THE MOST FUN @south water caye,bones were all over upon landing the boat on arrival,barely got luggage out tryin to grab rods to start casting,,tarpon too!--wifey nailed a 19 pound grey jack all on her own,,,,oooooooh,,,wishin I was fishin~!
Yep, South Water Caye is an excellent location.
BTW, a "grey jack" is a Crevalle Jack. Big schools of them chase "sprat" (sardines) around the island, as do Barracuda.

gbanker

Reaction score
My wife went diving while I went fishing. Lodge, meals, staff, accommodations, guides all first rate.
My wife thought the diving was very good. I caught all the bonefish I wanted and had many shots at permit and managed to catch one.
Our second time there.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
My wife went diving while I went fishing. Lodge, meals, staff, accommodations, guides all first rate.
My wife thought the diving was very good. I caught all the bonefish I wanted and had many shots at permit and managed to catch one.
Our second time there.
Post some photos of your trip, we would love to see them.

Larry

Matt4.0

Reaction score
The fiance and I are about 80% sure we're going to have our honeymoon in Belize, probably later this fall/winter. Sounds like it will be a blast!