Potential new tarpon fishing location?

nekiuk

Reaction score
Maybe an unusual post, please let me know if this is not the right place.

I am an expat living in small, friendly, poor Mayan village on northern Laguna Bacalar. Two years ago, after hurricane Ernesto, something changed drastically in the lake ecosystem around here, and we now have a lot (a LOT) of tarpon. The village would benefit greatly from some extra income, and I am wondering if tarpon fishing would be an option. But I know nothing about it, and have no idea how to even start.

I am hoping the fisher people in this forum can give me some idea what would be needed to attract a few fly fishing enthusiasts, make a little bit of money,and invest that in boats. Is it possible to fish for tarpon from a dock? They hunt very close to shore here - so close that their prey fish sometimes end up beached. Would anyone want to do that, or would we need a boat right away? That is already a major investment for the local economy... Would low prices (with primitive conditions, e.g. only a canoe) help, or do people just want to have the best fishing with the best boat and the best guide, no matter the cost? Would we need an English-speaking guide? Do people usually bring their own tackle? How can we find someone who is willing to come over and take a look or give it a try? Etc etc...

I would be very grateful for any pointers. Mucho gracias! Carla

catch a fish

Reaction score
Hi Carla,
I've just had your post brought to my attention.
I know it's been a couple of years. I wonder if you and the fish are still there?
I bring 150-200 people a year to your part of the world to fish catch and release. I would be interested to hear from you and see if we can set something up.
I've spent a lot of time in Bacalar lagoon looking for Tarpon but never saw one fish, this was all pre Ernesto though.
Look forward to hearing from you,
Nick