Isla Holbox

rod1

Reaction score
Has anyone been to Isla Holbox lately? I wasn’t able to find too many reviews online. It appears many of the main travel sites promote the location.

Thanks

themistocles

Reaction score
Was there in September 2017 and spent a day chasing baby tarpon. We ran out of Holbox and were fishing in the mangroves to the east of Cabo Catoche. Actually saw some of size - more like juvenile delinquents - but for whatever reason couldn't entice them to bite. Alejandro Vega Cruz is a well established outfitter and runs a bunch of guides through Holbox Tarpon Club. People were also going out with him for the big ones and having success when I was there. There is another operation on the island but don't know anything about it good or bad. Most of the tourists are interested in swimming with the whale sharks, there are not that many sport anglers. Apparently the bonefish have been fished out for bait so they don't exist there, though I am pretty sure I saw a small school one morning off of the dock. The island generally hosts more Europeans than North Americans so that may be why you aren't seeing reviews. The food is awesome and there is some nightlife with great live music every night in town. There are plenty of places to stay on the island, both small hotels and houses. One of the buggier places I have been once you get off of the beach so bring lots of spray. It's somewhat difficult to get to from Cancun, (couple hour drive to a ferry then a golf cart) but doable.

rod1

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Did you enjoy your experience? Caye Caulker, Belize seems to be a comparable option.

Wet dreams

Reaction score
Where did you go? Fished Holbox last September and really enjoyed it. The big Tarpon eluded me but had lots of fun with the babies. If I go again I won't go during the peak of the rainy season as all the streets were flooded, so much so the gulf carts stopped running. We also fished out of San Felipe and that was great and a lot less expensive than Holbox. You can book directly with Hotel San Felipe ala cart for about a third of the package price.

Have not fished Key Caulker but have fished the same flats out of Ambergris and really enjoyed it, hope to go back.

original cormorant

Reaction score
Holbox is sort of a mexican Key West. Go there for the big girls. Stay at any beachside hotel and Sandflea's guy's will pick you up at first light. Set off for the ocean, spend a couple of hours looking and if nothing shows head for the back country with plenty of babies or for a bit more of a challenge some snook. Return ealy afternooon for seviche and beers, a little rest and maybe a swim then a meal in town and bed for early rising next day. Put your trust in Sandflea and nothing can go wrong - except covid.

There's another operation on the beach which is run by Alejandro's brother but he doesn't have the track record of Sandflea.

I shouldn't be telling you this.

Wet dreams

Reaction score
Amgergris and Key Cauker are more flats/site fishing more like the Keys and to me what classic tarpon fishing is all about.
Holbox is blind casting, casting to rollers, and some sight casting, but in 15-30' of water with sinking lines. The baby tarpon are sight casting or fishing rollers in shallow water with all floating lines. Darwin Vega (Alejandro's brother) has been guiding for at least 15 years and has a Hells Bay Marquisa,arguably one of the best flats boats on Holbox.