Help with choosing a resort/planning a trip

romang

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions to put together a solo fishing trip to Mexico in mid September for a week or less of mostly diy and perhaps a guide for a day or two.
I understand September is still rainy season so a shower or two during the day is to be expected, but I understand the fishing is still good?

Looking for suggestions for the best resort/hotel to stay at that has the best access to diy beaches and docks. It seems around Tulum And South of Tulum is the best place to look for a resort. I would like to avoid a rental car but if it's a necessity for diy than I will have to rent one in cancun where I will be flying into.

Is there a resort where I can do or will allow me easy access to diy fishing? Within easy walking or a short cab ride? If it's near a place where I can rent a kayak to fish the mangroves that's a definite plus. An all inclusive resort or a resort where I can feel safe leaving to get food and supplies is okay too.

I will be bringing a spinning rod and a 9wt fly rod for the diy fishing. I'm a freshwater fisherman with no saltwater experience but I'm not looking to chase a trophy just to cast and catch fish to keep my self entertained. I'll hire a guide for an actual shot at catching.

Some main points:
-all inclusive is a plus
-easy access to diy beaches/docks
-prefer to avoid a rental car so diy beaches is a must
-near a place with good food preferable on the resort premises
-near a place that rents kayaks to fish mangroves
-safety is an obvious concern hence an all inclusive property which is gated is preferred

Please suggest any resorts which might fit the bill or if my expectations are too high and I need to rent a car in cancun for any reasonable diy fishing opportunities

Thank you

Roman

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thank You i just read throught it.

How about Bahamas? Seems way safer and bonefish on flats seem to be in abudunce around September.

Overall, Bahamas seems like a better DIY fishing destination on days i don't get a guide.
Yes, I agree, it will be way safer and it has very good fishing.