Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: The Trough

Default The Trough

Anyone been fishing the Southbranch of the Potomic between Moorefield and Romney WV yet? My brother and I are going down next month for a 12 mile float with my pontoons (if I can get my new one to hold air). It's a long story that developed since yesterday. We've fished there a time or two in the past 12 years, but never on a pontoon always in a canoe. Locals say that the toons are becoming more popular, but I've never had mine on the rapids and was wondering how they will handle. Smallmouths always seemed to hit well in July, so packing the toons and camping gear on the jeep and planning a weekend of fishing, camping, and good times. I'll take pics and post them once this happens.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Trough

I use a 13' two man fishcat and can tell you they handle rapids like a dream. You just oar to slow the boat and ease it through where you want it. Unless you get into really crazy stuff they take all the stress out of white water.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I'm sure these will handle this river just fine. I'm just glad that I can do my own thing while my brother does his. Being able to fish together is awesome, but relying on someone else to guide the back of the canoe can get you wet...if you know what I mean. I love my pontoon and use it any chance I can. I hope I can rely on this colorado. It has qualities of being a good boat and not to mention, looks pretty cool too.

Blog Entries

My rule for fishing from a canoe is "Don't bring anything you can't afford to lose". With the pontoon boat there are gear bags and no chance of me upsetting a 13' air boat. I take tackle in out river boat without fear of loss too but a canoe..........nope.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

I was over on the Green River, UT below Flamin Gorge a couple weeks ago and it has several good rapid a (size 1 and 2) and there were numerous folks in pontoons. That river has lots of sleeper rocks just below the surface, just have to keep your feet up as you traverse the rapids.

Larry

I agree with you Hardyreels. A canoe is O.K. and I've use one for years, but for stability, I feel these pontoons out perform to certain standards. Besides, I have noticed a lot more canoes around where I live end up as flower pots.

Quote Originally Posted by wvfishn View Post
    I agree with you Hardyreels. A canoe is O.K. and I've use one for years, but for stability, I feel these pontoons out perform to certain standards. Besides, I have noticed a lot more canoes around where I live end up as flower pots.
    Or feed troughs!
    Seth

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
    ----------------------------------------
    Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...

8. Default Re: The Trough

Quote Originally Posted by wvfishn View Post
    Anyone been fishing the Southbranch of the Potomic between Moorefield and Romney WV yet? My brother and I are going down next month for a 12 mile float with my pontoons (if I can get my new one to hold air). It's a long story that developed since yesterday. We've fished there a time or two in the past 12 years, but never on a pontoon always in a canoe. Locals say that the toons are becoming more popular, but I've never had mine on the rapids and was wondering how they will handle. Smallmouths always seemed to hit well in July, so packing the toons and camping gear on the jeep and planning a weekend of fishing, camping, and good times. I'll take pics and post them once this happens.

I have not fished the Trough yet but I have floated the river several time between Sector and the Romney Bridge this year. The water is great. I was wading it yesterday and the SM where going nuts.
    I have a Outcast and I have no problem with that river or the North Branch.

Kevin