Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Savage River

Default Savage River

Been doing some fishing in the Savage River (lower) (water finally came down enough to fish. Savage is the tailwaters from the Savage River Dam) Naturally reproducing browns and brook trout and totally wild. Been catching more on an Adams dry #16 than anything else! You have to work hard for them but it's rewarding fishing when you get one! Here are some pics...

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)

Default Re: Savage River

Nice fish and a very nice river, are there no rainbow in that river

Some rainbow find there way in when they release water from the reservoir and there is some stocking of rainbows at the end of Savage River where the Potomac River meets it and some make their way up a little ways but not real far.
    "I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)

Blog Entries

Those are beautiful fish, I can see why you keep going back. Watch your step when you are wading now OK

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

awesome fish! pretty spot as well.

ARFE

okuma Guest

You're right Ard. Very dangerous wading there. Fell just about every trip I took there.

I was planning on heading up tomorrow. Did you do any nymph fishing at all? I will be deep dredging some big streamers with the 6wt for a bruiser.

Do some. Pheasant tails are pretty good. Black Wooly Buggers seem to work well also. Caught a couple the other day on those.

Great Report. Savage does not disappoint!
    “Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.”
    http://theladygreyflyfishing.blogspot.com/