South Western/South Central Pennsylvania Fly Fishing

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm fairly new to this board and was wondering about northern W.Va./Southern Pa. fly fishing. I will be visiting family in northern W.Va. the week of Thanksgiving this year, and, if the weather cooperates just a little, I'd like to get in a day's fishing early in the week (Monday or Tuesday). Are there any accessible Pa. trout streams within a 2-3 hour drive of northern W.Va.? Any fly shops you'd recommend I contact?

Thanks, in advance, for any info.

FFP

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi FFP,

I have not fished in that area but here is a link to the WV DNR. It seems to have a lot of information. If you look at the stocking schedule they list the creeks by counties. Figure out what counties are near you and then look for a creek.

Frank

FISHN50

Reaction score
I've been out of the area for some time but I used to like to fish some of the Limestone streams in the area . You have the Yellow Breeches & Fallings springs Creek In the Carsile / Mechanicsburg area. along with a bunch of others. If you go Limestone it's long leaders, fine tippets & large fish..

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I did my seminary studies in Latrobe, PA. There's some catch and release trout fishing in nearby Ligonier, PA on Loyalhanna Creek. A fairly tight stream, but access/wadeability is easy along a little city park.

Very picturesque little stream that runs through a beautiful gorge all the way through to Latrobe. Mill Creek joins it at Ligonier and also has trout.

Ligonier's a neat little town, very historic (complete with an old British fort you can walk through), and has a couple of flyshops, including an orvis dealer. It's worth a trip in itself.

I never fished it, but the Youghigeny river (sp?) has an excellent reputation, though I'm not sure about access. It would be closer to you.

Here's a helpful link Fly fishing Pennsylvania Rivers and Streams

oogie

Reaction score
Hi FFP-

If you are going to be in Western WV, you might want to consider looking a little closer to your home base rather than heading up to PA (but that is always a fine idea as well). Consider the Savage, North Branch of the Potomac, and the Youghegheny. Here are some links to get you started:

Fresh Water Fishing Report - Maryland Department of Natural Resources
Youghiogheny
Savage River Outfitters
Eastern Trophies Fly Fishing (Maryland and Virginia Guide Services)
North Branch Potomac River and Savage River Releases

slatedrake

Reaction score
The Yellow Breaches and Letort Spring Run in Carlisle are excellent. I always wanted to try the Youghiogheny because of it's great reputation. :)