Fishing the Savage

troutslayer

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Haven't posted in a while. I do a lot of hunting in the fall and it's tough to get to the river. I miss the tug though! Anyone fishing the Savage River in Western Maryland these days? Any thoughts to what is working? I'd like to get out before the snow flies! In Garrett County where the Savage is the snow sometimes comes early! I've missed sharing and talking about flyfishing so it's nice to be back on the forum!

switchfisher

Reaction score
I was up fishing the lower part of Barnum last weekend and heard the Savage was fishing pretty good. The MD folks just stocked it the week prior.

With the six inches of rain we got and the controlled release from the dam, the upper part should be pretty good right now.

I fished the lower part - downstream from the first bridge about a mile - and was pretty disappointed in late September. Shallow, nothing moving. Should be better now.

The fly shop up there just short of the fly fishing section should be able to give you up to date info

troutslayer

Reaction score
It's an Orvis fly shop and they are nice people. They also have a website, Savage River Outfitters. They will let you know what's working too. There is two nice holes, one just below the flyshop and one right above them.

oogie

Reaction score
Fished the Savage in late Sept. and mid October. Very very slow. IN fact, the slowest I have ever experienced it in early Fall. I think it was the warm weather and unusually warm water for that time of year (water temp. was in the low to mid 60s-- it should be in th elow 50s that time of year). Would be interested to hear if you go and how it fishes, as I might try one more time there this fall. I second the idea of contacting the Savage River Outfitters. Great guys who will give you honest opinions on what is happening with the river.

oogie

Reaction score
Yep. I was fishing the tailwaters (both the Savage and the NB). The upper Savage might be pretty good now after the Fall stocking (if the stocking was recent).