Paint Creek Report

cattech89

Reaction score
I am so happy to have the opportunity to share this report with everyone here. I was so desperate to go fishing last weekend that I emailed my boss on Friday and told him I would not be in on the following Monday (5/21), that I would be burning a vacation day.
I was up by 4:30am and on the road by 5:00. Grabbed a few drinks and some go-go juice for the truck and was on the river by 6:00.
Paint Creek is a great trout stream that has won several awards but is not the "ideal" trout stream. For a large part of the stream it crisscrosses back and forth underneath I-77. However, it has a nicely maintained C&R section, which was my destination.
I was a little out of practice. I didn't know what to really start with. I tied on a green weenie and quickly hooked up with a 3" long creek chub. After 15min of no other action I tried a GRHE with no success. Finally I said, "Okay, go big or go home." I tied on a #12 Olive Green Wooly Bugger and added a few split shot. I flipped it across the head of a pool and made a few quick strips across and WHAM!!! The rod came alive! Here is what I pulled out...

After snapping a couple pics and releasing my friend I stood up and, never moving from my spot, flipped that same wooly bugger upstream letting it swing downstream and just before I flipped it back up for another drift, WHAM! A nice little stocker brookie...

I sent him on his way and moved downstream a little. After about 10-15 minutes of swinging that same wooly bugger I was starting to think, "maybe I should try something else" when....WHAM WHAM WHAM!!! The rod tip just went crazy. This was the best part of my day. This bad lad really put up a fight to the point that I thought I had a 24 incher on the line.

I wanted another pic but before I could get the hook out of his mouth, flip-flop, threw the hook, and he was gone.
I got back in the truck and moved downstream a little and fished a run that was flowing underneath one of the interstate bridges. I got several rises but only managed one taker. Another stocker brookie.

This was a great day. Besides the fishing, the day was gorgeous, and I never saw a single soul. I was all alone all day and was able to lose some stress and recoop.
Hope you all enjoy...

cattech89

Reaction score
Nice slam there Seth! No chub pic? milt.
Ha! That would've been good! I was perturbed though cause those little buggers wouldn't leave my fly alone. Most of them were too small to get hooked though....:rolleyes:

Thanks Larry! I didn't regret it at all!