Fly Fishing Maryland

brandanrenner

Reaction score
iv started this thread for the mayrland fly fisherman. Its open for discussion on such things as area fly shops, trout streams, what the local hatch has been, and fly fishing clubs. my main purpose for starting this thread is im having trouble finding these things in my area area.

brandanrenner

Reaction score
im in washington county now i actully used to live in ocean city unfourtanitly i was not fly fishing then what part of delaware are u in i used to go up to coin beach and do a lot of surf fishing

jimw

Reaction score
I almost forgot there is a really good fly shop in Salisbury Md, Salisbury fly shop google it. Mason the owner could probally hook you up even if you are to far away he knows alot of people thru out Md. I mostly stick to the salt on the eastern shore.

brandanrenner

Reaction score
thanks a lot i will do so right now the best i got for fly gear is dicks and walmart and im sure u know how that selection is

Stonebow Inn

Reaction score
Brendan hi: My advice is - go west young man! You are now not too far from Garrett County, where the best trout fly fishing action in the state of Maryland is to be found. 4 major trout fishing rivers - the Casselman, the Savage, the Youghiegeny (Yock) and the north branch of the Potomac are all within a couple of hours drive from you. I am not a fisherman myself, but own and operate a bed and breakfast right on the Casselman River (we have six and a half acres of riverfront on the property, publicly accessible) so I can testify to the great sport here from conversations with the many fisherman who come and stay with us each spring and fall. The Casselman is stocked by the DNR, the Savage has naturally reproducing trout, the Yoch is a mix of both. All the current record size species catches in the state have been landed in Garrett County - what more could you ask (and I didn't even mention Deep Creek Lake which is also very fishable). The Potomac Branch of Trout Unlimited can tell you all you need to know, and we have great guide services here - especially Allegheny Expeditions and Howard Harsch (Spring Creek Outfitter) - check them out on the web. The Wisp Resort at Deep Creek Lake has an authorised Orvis shop on site. Come up I68 and do some fishing- we will be stocking early next month!

switchfisher

Reaction score
I've been working thru Gelso and Coburn's great book - Guide to Maryland Trout Fishing - it has great info, maps, recommendations, etc. It will put you on the right track.

I recommend you also do some generic searches - you can find a lot of info right on the web. For example - do "north branch" trout for the North Branch of the Potomac or "Hoyes Run" trout for the Yawk, etc.

Getting the book puts you on the right track.

In terms of fly shops, they are getting scarcer - I recommend you just click on some of the sponsored links on this forum to get your gear.

The recommendation on TU is good as well - many of the TU chapters have fish with a member trips that will put you in the right place at the right time.

xjguy07

Reaction score
hey i'm a maryland fly fisher also. although i'm on the eastern shore, i'm not to far from gun powder falls and the daniels dam area where i mainly go. i usually get my gear from Bass Pro Shops in the arundal mills mall. their fly shop is pretty good, and most of the people that i've encountered that work at it know alot about how to fish maryland rivers.

oh yeah and like switchfisher said read that book about maryland fly fishing, my buddie has it and it's great.

switchfisher

Reaction score
I can't believe I forgot to mention the Gun.

While the really scenic section up near Prettyboy gets hammered every weekend, the Gun stretches downstream through other C&R sections for miles and miles.

I get stuff at Bass Pro in Arundel as well. Wait for their "spring fling" at the end of February when everything goes on sale.

One other point - Larry Coburn who wrote that book runs the fly shop there. So, you can have a chat with him if he is on duty when you are there.

XJGUY - I was up at Daniels a few weeks after they stocked it this fall, no action. Do you work down from the Dam or up from the I70 crossover?

jimw

Reaction score
Are you talking about the Gunpowder river? I heard a canoe club from Baltimore cut all the fallen trees(habitat)to clear a canoe trail in the river is this true??

xjguy07

Reaction score
I can't believe I forgot to mention the Gun.

While the really scenic section up near Prettyboy gets hammered every weekend, the Gun stretches downstream through other C&R sections for miles and miles.

I get stuff at Bass Pro in Arundel as well. Wait for their "spring fling" at the end of February when everything goes on sale.

One other point - Larry Coburn who wrote that book runs the fly shop there. So, you can have a chat with him if he is on duty when you are there.

XJGUY - I was up at Daniels a few weeks after they stocked it this fall, no action. Do you work down from the Dam or up from the I70 crossover?

yeah same here when i go i usually start at I70 and work my way up to the damn. me and a buddy went and the biggest fish we cought was about four inches long and a perch or somthing i think. the water was extremly low, when i was wadeing in the rver spots that were up to my chest were bearly knee height i think that had alot to do with it.

switchfisher

Reaction score
My results exactly. I went back there on the 29th when it was warm to look at the Black Bass C&R area below I70. Looks good, but nothing was moving - not even my buddies the bluegills!

Next season....

xjguy07

Reaction score
haha next year is what i've been saying the last two years i fished their, granted each time i have fished their it hasnt been the perfect day for them either.

troutslayer

Reaction score
I'm from Western Maryland and I flyfish the Savage River a lot! It's the tailwater from the Savage River Dam and it's full of naturally reproducing browns and brookies. It has some nice rainbows from when they do water release from the dam but as far as I know, the DNR does not stock this portion of the river. They have an Orivs Flyshop located right on the river too! Nice people and very helpful. They also have a website you can check out. SavageRiverOutfitters.com. They will tell you stream levels and what is hatching and what to use. It is a beautiful river to fish but very rugged and slippery!

DaveMD

Reaction score
I highly recommend that book to anyone looking to fly fish in Maryland. It is a great starting point and once you become familar with an area it is easy to stumble upon those little known streams that no one fishes. That is where the real fun is.

Dave

momeneveau

Reaction score
Hey guy's,
I'm from Baltimore, and work part-time at the local Gunpowder Falls fly-shop, Backwater Angler. It's good to know that some fellow Gunpowder fisherman are talking on this forum!
To answer the question about the log-jams being cut out. Yes, unfortunately the stretch from Falls Rd. access to Bluemount Rd. has be de-logged. Theaux LeGardeur, the owner of the shop even got pictures of the people cutting out the logs with chain-saws. Theaux managed to call the park service, but since they are buddies with the canoe club, the club managed to get off with only a "warning."
Another aspect of interest in the past couple of months has been Bluemount Quarry. They have been seen violating their permit to crush rebar, and have installed a drain into the Gunpowder. If anyone has any further info on this matter, contact Theaux at Backwater Angler!
I encourage everyone to check out the shop, or visit our website at:
BACKWATER ANGLER

Tight Lines!
Max Meneveau

switchfisher

Reaction score
How's the Gun fishing? I was up there a few weeks ago when it was still pretty cold. Has the water warmed above 40 yet?

momeneveau

Reaction score
It's been slow the past couple of weeks, but it just picked up a bunch with the recent warm weather. On saturday I experienced a midge hatch so thick that I couldn't breathe without inhaling some bugs! I caught about 9 fish in 4 hrs. Size 22 black or creme midge patterns were working.
Tight Lines!
Max Meneveau