Where would YOU go??

twospots

Reaction score
Taking my buddy on his first ever fly fishing trip. Unfortunately, it is at the end of March (He's a teacher so its spring break) so it causes a few issues with camping. (wanted to camp as he has never really camped either. This is an unplanned planned trip.We have been best friends since early 20's (just turned 42) and I have been trying to get him to fly fish for most of that time. he finally decided to give it a try.

Bought him a fly rod for xmas... We have fished smallies local for years and LM from a boat a few times but I could never get him to try fly fishing. So now that he decided to try it- I wanna give him a fun, exciting, yet somewhat uneasy adventure. he is out of his element if he is not vacationing in a hotel with room service, so I really wanted to camp (not telling him)... Seems rude from an outside standpoint, but you gotta know the guy... All I promised him was that there would be no strippers! (otherwise his wife would not let him go) So....

What I wanted to do is get in the car, head to I-75 near Cincinnati (starting point) and flip a coin. Heads North and tails South... Don't tell him I actually have plans for either direction, and sort of accidentally end up near a fantastic trout stream.
So what I came up with so far is:

North- Slate Run in PA.

South- Doe Run in TN and Whitetop Laurel in VA.

So what I'm asking is for some help deciding where to go at the end of March within a day's drive of Cincinnati Ohio. I would really like to take him to a mountain trout stream, anywhere from VA, TN, NC, GA... that holds some decent size trout with a lot of smaller trout so he can at least catch a few without too much trouble, and have a good chance at something bigger.
But if the coin points North - I have been to MI and I know the regs there get confusing, but I could deal with that... PA seemed like a natural choice... I think I'm hoping the coin ends up south (or I fake it) - Just cause the weather might not be too bad in March... Anyway - If anyone has any good ideas to help me plan this trip I'd much appreciate it

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd take him to the White River, it would be a trip of the lifetime, but looking at the map it is around 700 miles so that would be a long haul from Cincinnati. The plus side is that you would be on some world famous trout water. You have some time you might checkout what the air fares are running. If it is in the budget, you then wouldn't have such a worry on the enroute wx. Checkout this shop:
Dally's Ozark Fly Fisher

knyberg

Reaction score
March is prime time steelhead fishing in Western Michigan. You will need a guide but landing 8 to 10 steelhead a day in the 8-14lb range is a complete fly fishing rush. There ton's of guides on the Pere Marquette and other rivers. Not to mention Steel Ally between Cleveland and Erie PA.

twospots

Reaction score
Found out it is actually the first week in April, not last week in March if that matters. Steelhead ally is an attractive plan just cause it is so close by. But are they still there that late in the year? All they guys I know go Nov to Feb... And yet again I was kinda hoping for a mountain stream... But I'm not stubborn.
Unfortunately White River is just a tad far for this trip... But only by a hair...

Shenandoah is def a possability...
Thanks guys and keep them coming...

shotgunfly

Reaction score
I'll second the votes for Virginia and mountain streams. Check out :

Mossy Creek Fly Shop Virginia's Public Fly Fishing Waters in Harrisonburg

Albemarle Angler Albemarle Angler: Fly Fishing in Virginia, Guided Fishing Trips, Orvis & Barbour Clothing in Charlottesville

Don't pass up Harry Murray...known for the Mr. Rapidan fly and fishing that water extensively...
Murray's Fly Shop Fly Fishing

All shops will point you to some great mountain stream fishing (public and private). Dry River (public) west of Hburg is only 15 minutes and is noted by USGS as one of the most densely populated wild brook trout streams in the Mid-Atlantic.

And if you get tired of chasing them you can always book a day ($70/angler) on Smith Creek Suzie Q Farm, which has 18-22" rainbows and browns. They will close the mile long stretch for the two of you. Can be fished without a guide. I take all of my newbie friends here, so does the shop I believe. Mossy Creek Fly Shop is the one to go to for this.

Albemarle Angler can put you on the Cowpasture (Big Bend Farm) for $90/angler a day. It's about 45-1hr southwest of hburg. You can rent an old cabin there midweek for $275 a night. You can fish without a guide and without staying in the cabin).

There is also (if you want to go luxury) Rose River Farm which is $100/day and beautiful cabins for $250 a night. Virginia Fly Fishing, Madison County Trout | Rose River Farm | Syria, VA This one books up fast.

Bonus, there is ample camping in the SNP and GW National forest.
Stocking starts in October and runs through June.
Check the VGDIF website for more water information, maps and stocking schedules...to increase your chances...
Trout Fishing Guide

Good luck!

jaybo41

Reaction score
I'd probably not opt for anything in PA since Trout season closes at the end of Feb and doesn't open until "Opening Day" on the majority of the trout streams. There are options open like the Special Regs areas and Brook Trout Enhancement areas but you're cutting out a lot of possibilities by going at that time.

ghocevar

Reaction score
if you head north swing by and pick me and wt bash up! Slate run, cedar run, penns creek, spring creek are all open to fish year round.

twospots

Reaction score
LOL... You guys are great. :clap:

Did more research myself and found a few spots in the Smokies. I figure if we go South that's probably where we will end up, and all of the campgrounds I have seen open April 1st so we should be good in that aspect.
I kinda thought most of the planet had all fishing seasons open by at least April fools day... but I guess not. GREAT info about Mossy creek and other local spots in PA though. I may look into heading thre later anyway. Sadly I have 2 trips planned before may. Another friend want to go to his cabin in WV and fish Williams and Cranberry in February. (also another option for taking my best friend I guess but I wanted to go somewhere I have never been as well).

Thanks for all that info and keep it coming if you have anything to add. Very Serious Thank you to you guys.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
LOL... You guys are great. :clap:

Did more research myself and found a few spots in the Smokies. I figure if we go South that's probably where we will end up, and all of the campgrounds I have seen open April 1st so we should be good in that aspect.
I kinda thought most of the planet had all fishing seasons open by at least April fools day... but I guess not. GREAT info about Mossy creek and other local spots in PA though. I may look into heading thre later anyway. Sadly I have 2 trips planned before may. Another friend want to go to his cabin in WV and fish Williams and Cranberry in February. (also another option for taking my best friend I guess but I wanted to go somewhere I have never been as well).

Thanks for all that info and keep it coming if you have anything to add. Very Serious Thank you to you guys.
Sounds like you have a good plan and glad the members could provide some solid advice. The April 1 opener isn't universal, for example in Yellowstone NP the fishing opens the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. In Wyoming you have to pay close attention to the regulations the openings/closings are all over the map mainly (I think) to protect spawning fish, I'm guessing other states have similiar rules.