Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout Fishing Near Northern Virginia

Default Trout Fishing Near Northern Virginia

Just moved from Oregon to the DC area for a year and looking for trout fishing within a 3-hour drive. I brought 3-8 wt rods with me, I prefer small to medium-sized rivers, but "when in Rome..." PA, NC, and TN trips are a possibility but would like to check out VA and MD first. Suggestions? Thx!

Default Re: Trout Fishing Near Northern Virginia

The best streams in the Shenandoah National Park are less than 2 hours away. Harry Murray's book is the best guide to the area. Don't bother asking for specific streams because they change from year-to-year, and can't support much pressure.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Trout-Fishing-Shenandoah-National-Park/dp/0962255505/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1371559602&sr=8-4&keywords=fly+fishing+shenandoah"]Trout Fishing in the Shenandoah National Park: Harry W. Murray: 9780962255502: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qveANWS%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@51qveANWS%2BL[/ame]

Here is a thread I posted on fishing eastern slope streams this past winter:

SNP in Winter

3. Default Re: Trout Fishing Near Northern Virginia

Also Passage Creek in Fort Valley, VA. Check out the George Washington National Forest webpage.

4. Default Re: Trout Fishing Near Northern Virginia

Pick up a VA gazeteer and look for small streams in the GWNF or the park and just go fish

I have had many great days doing just that on streams that probably don't even have names.

Thanks all for the tips. I did hit the Gunpowder in MD once already, nice stream. I plan to get out regularly starting next weekend!

You have a lot of good streams on your side of the MT. When you get a chance come on over to the west side. There are some good streams over here.
    Dennis
    fish more fish more often,If the hats missn I'm fishn

Mossy Creek, tailwater of North Branch of Potomac below Jennings-Randolph dam, Savage River tailwater.

In three hours you could probably get to Carlisle, PA and Yellow Breeches/LeTort Spring Run- world famous limestone waters.

9. Default Re: Trout Fishing Near Northern Virginia

The Upper Jackson River in Bath County is the spot for fall trout fishing. Natural Retreats operates Meadow Lane, where they have 2 1/2 miles of privately stocked waters. Big Browns, Rainbows, and some Small-Mouth can easily be targeted on all stretches. They also have a wide variety of accommodations if you are looking to stay overnight. Pretty property, and tons of other places to fish in the area. George Washington National Forest is right next door as well. Check it out!

I listen to a podcast of a guide that lives in that area and he's always talking about fishing for snakeheads in the Potomac.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast