Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Hudsonville, Michigan
    Posts
    1,715
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default Re: Gunpowder junkies..... (Fishing Report)

    Thanks for sharing your trip and the pictures, looks like you are the right track!

    Denny

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    175

    Default Re: Gunpowder junkies..... (Fishing Report)

    Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    The Gunpowder itself I'm not particularly worried about. There are redds in all the usual places; it looks like reproduction this year has been pretty good. As to the small drop in numbers of young of year, it's probably just what the river needs, as there are more (wild) fish in the river than food for them to grow on, which is why the average size fish is so small. Culling 30% really needed to be done. And there are still over 3000 (wild) fish left. Of course if the amount of rain we've had this year is the new normal, all bets are off, and it remains to be seen what the insect hatches will be like next year.

    I don't often fish for stocked fish, so I don't care about them either, but why did you mention stocked rainbows?

    I have no clue about how warm water fish are doing, since the rivers have been too high this year for me to fish for them even once.
    I just mentioned stocked rainbows off hand as i thought that was all they stocked in MD. do they stock browns? i didnt think so.

    the warm water fisheries were very hard this year. i couldnt do any feeder streams off the Potomac all year. These are usually smallmouth early season grounds where you get them coming up for either spawn or to feed aggressively at the start of the season and then as these waters come down and get thin and clear the fish retreat and go back to the Potomac. I didnt get fish out of any of these waters this year. ill have to see how it works out next year.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Maryland - Gunpowder River
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Gunpowder junkies..... (Fishing Report)

    From the DNR site some locations do get some browns, but it looks like the GP gets rainbows and goldens.

    10/16/2018 Baltimore Gunpowder Falls - Lower (Closure 1) 500 RB/BR
    10/16/2018 Baltimore Patapsco River, Daniels (2/Day) 400 RB/BN
    10/11/2018 Baltimore Gunpowder Falls, Upper (Closure 1) 300 RB/GN

  4. #34

    Default Re: Gunpowder junkies..... (Fishing Report)

    Quote Originally Posted by hambone111 View Post
    I just mentioned stocked rainbows off hand as i thought that was all they stocked in MD. do they stock browns? i didnt think so.
    Yes, they do stock browns. Morgan Run, which is one of the few stocked stream in MD that I regularly fish, gets some browns every year.

    I was more or less inquiring as to whether you were referring to just the Gunpowder, or just streams in general. The GP doesn't get stocked at all for first 11 miles below Prettyboy, except for a few fingerling rainbows, which the DNR keeps hoping will establish a wild population. (FWIW, I hate the idea of stocking over an established wild population, even if they're only fingerlings.) The C&R and limited harvest sections of the Gunpowder are essentially a wild trout fishery and I wasn't sure how stocked rainbows fit into it.

    As you mentioned, I couldn't fish the any of the Potomac feeders at all this year, which is where I do most of my warm water fishing. The rains come at a very bad time of year for SMB reproduction.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    175

    Default Re: Gunpowder junkies..... (Fishing Report)

    Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Yes, they do stock browns. Morgan Run, which is one of the few stocked stream in MD that I regularly fish, gets some browns every year.

    I was more or less inquiring as to whether you were referring to just the Gunpowder, or just streams in general. The GP doesn't get stocked at all for first 11 miles below Prettyboy, except for a few fingerling rainbows, which the DNR keeps hoping will establish a wild population. (FWIW, I hate the idea of stocking over an established wild population, even if they're only fingerlings.) The C&R and limited harvest sections of the Gunpowder are essentially a wild trout fishery and I wasn't sure how stocked rainbows fit into it.

    As you mentioned, I couldn't fish the any of the Potomac feeders at all this year, which is where I do most of my warm water fishing. The rains come at a very bad time of year for SMB reproduction.
    AH ! i didnt know they stocked browns, i Focus on Warm water species pretty hard and just casually trout fish over the winter months when the bass go into hiding.

    i was speaking in terms of all fisheries, i am concerned for the next several years on reproducing wild fish impact from this years rains. they were very poorly timed and flows were huge. fingers crossed they get a break next year and we can get some good reproduction in

  6. #36

    Default Re: Gunpowder junkies..... (Fishing Report)

    I fished The GP yesterday 12/27/18. Fished Falls road section for the first time . Water temp was 43 deg , water was fast in some spots ,but wadable. Caught two fish in two different pools on sculpins. But man I parked at the 2nd parking spot and what I hike, My 69 year old legs were worn out. But what a day, Loved it.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Maryland - Gunpowder River
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Gunpowder junkies..... (Fishing Report)

    Agreed! Walking back up that hill is indeed a hike

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Maryland - Gunpowder River
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Gunpowder junkies..... (Fishing Report)

    Got out today off York Road. On the water by 2:00, off by 4:00. Weather was as reported, water at 40 degrees.

    Blew up a couple of nymph rigs and came off empty, but it was great to be back on in reasonable conditions. Practiced using a skagit line...it will make a real difference one I break the code.

  9. #39

    Default Re: Gunpowder junkies..... (Fishing Report)

    Quote Originally Posted by bigal36 View Post
    Got out today off York Road. On the water by 2:00, off by 4:00. Weather was as reported, water at 40 degrees.

    Blew up a couple of nymph rigs and came off empty, but it was great to be back on in reasonable conditions. Practiced using a skagit line...it will make a real difference one I break the code.
    I was out on Tuesday at Masemore. I took six in about an hour before realizing my net was missing and spending an hour looking for it. Four were on a Light Spanish Needle (a soft hackle representing a little black stone fly) and two were on a Grouse and Herl (a soft hackle that I use when there are little brown stone flies -- not that I saw any.) If I could have fished longer, I'm sure that I would have been in double digit numbers of trout.

    Are you using a skagit line with one handed rod or a switch rod? I've been throwing streamers with the latter when the flow is up around 300 -- a far too frequent occurence of late -- and doing reasonably well. It seems like overkill for the Gunpowder but make sense once you realize that you don't have to wade too far into heavy current, and can cast weighted flies on a light rod.

    Let us know how you experiments are coming along.

  10. Likes hunter1 liked this post
  11. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Maryland - Gunpowder River
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Gunpowder junkies..... (Fishing Report)

    Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    I was out on Tuesday at Masemore. I took six in about an hour before realizing my net was missing and spending an hour looking for it. Four were on a Light Spanish Needle (a soft hackle representing a little black stone fly) and two were on a Grouse and Herl (a soft hackle that I use when there are little brown stone flies -- not that I saw any.) If I could have fished longer, I'm sure that I would have been in double digit numbers of trout.

    Are you using a skagit line with one handed rod or a switch rod? I've been throwing streamers with the latter when the flow is up around 300 -- a far too frequent occurence of late -- and doing reasonably well. It seems like overkill for the Gunpowder but make sense once you realize that you don't have to wade too far into heavy current, and can cast weighted flies on a light rod.

    Let us know how you experiments are coming along.
    What time of day did you head out?

    I have been using a single handed 905.

    I spoke with the guys at OPST and ordered another line that should, supposedly, work on both my 904 and my 10' 3wt. With that I ordered a floating tip....some say it's easier to learn with a floating tip vs sinking. Will see how it goes.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gunpowder River May 23
    By leflaneur in forum Mid-Atlantic Area
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2010, 12:22 PM
  2. Gunpowder river
    By hunter1 in forum Mid-Atlantic Area
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 05:44 PM
  3. ok a fun thread for the gear junkies
    By luked in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 10:35 PM
  4. End of Season - Gunpowder (MD)
    By switchfisher in forum Mid-Atlantic Area
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 02:33 PM
  5. Fishing the Gunpowder River in MD?
    By natermotor in forum Coldwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 01:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •