Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rapidan newbie Help Needed

Default Re: Rapidan newbie Help Needed

I was just talking to Harry Murray (good guy) who said the water is really low and I'd do better on the Rose. That may be true but I have been trying to bounce around the country fishing all the "famous" streams and I really want to "DO" the Rapidan. What is the best strategy if the water is low?
    Fish whatever pools are around? With what? Weighted Black GRHE? What about hiking up higher and "dapping"? I want to catch a brook trout in Fall spawning colors. All help much appreciated. Thanks.

Cover a lot of water and find the pools holding active feeding fish. Go up in elevation. Higher gradient means deeper pools which keep the brookies happy during low flow.

It can be very difficult this time of year, though. When the water is low and clear, look for feeding positions under structure, like boulders or trees. You're competing against raccoons, snakes, and birds moreso than other anglers. Look for spots that the trout can both feed and get away from natural predators. Use weighted nymphs to get down deep enough.

Thanks. If I wanted to fish the Rapidan in the morning, go back to the car for lunch, and then drive over to the Rose- is that doable? How long would it take to drive from the upper access over to the Rose? Thanks again for any help- really appreciate it.

~10 minutes. If you fish the Rose, plan to hike in at least 2 miles. There's a cut and a sign detailing the fishing regulations where you should start fishing.

Well the Rapidan is the famous stream ( TU top 100, etc) so I was focused on that but a lot of people keep talking about the Rose so now I'm thinking about splitting the day. How do the two streams compare? Similar? Size or gradient difference? Are both Brook trout streams? Thanks again.
    P.S. Always glad to return a favor. If you ever get to FL and want to fly fish in salt or fresh just ask for good places and info.

The Rapidan is slightly bigger and has much better access with a trail or road that runs alongside it the entire way. It gets much more pressure.

The Rose is slightly higher gradient and gets about average pressure for that part of the park.

Both are excellent streams that hold a lot of wild brookies. In my personal opinion, the Rapidan has more trout but they are tougher to catch due to the pressure. The Rose has more naive trout, but you have to put in more work (hike further, no stream-side trail) to catch them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12