Gunpowder River (MD - Big Falls Road)

switchfisher

Reaction score
It was a great day to escape the house and get out this last Saturday. With the air temps hitting close to 50, I joined the flow from city to stream and pointed the truck towards the Gunpowder. Since we had rain on Friday, a lot of rain, I decided that the Gun would be the only place to go that was close where the flow of slit introduced by the rain would be limited by the dam at Prettyboy Reservoir. When I arrived at the Big Falls bridge, I took one look at the water and knew I had made the correct decision.

The river was flowing strong and cold with the water a frosty 37 - 38 degrees. Well... given my luck/skill I knew I was in for a day of fishing rather than catching as anything below 45 degrees significantly reduces active feeding. But - it was a nice day and I proceeded to fish and explore my way upstream.

I really liked this stretch. In fact, I liked it a lot. After my bad experience up at the classic section just below the dam, this renewed my appreciation for the Gun. At the dam, you get to enjoy a fisherman every 25 yards on weekends (I know they are not there during the week and I am jealous of those of you who live close enough to hit that section on the off days). Down at Big Falls, there are several miles of nice, wandering river in a typical Maryland setting to enjoy. While I saw about 5 other guys, I certainly never felt pressured.

There is plenty of nice fish holding structure here - bushes, undercut banks, trees akimbo in the water - all protecting nice holes or deep runs where the water takes a turn. I worked it hard with my broken 4 wt rod (I snapped the tip off about a month ago and had not gotten around to doing the warranty return). The epoxy'd / duct taped tip held up just fine as I worked the river with stonefly nymphs and streamers. As expected, I fished; did not catch. But really enjoyed the day.

The river is cut like a gash - the banks are steep and you need to be careful getting in and out - especially with the lingering ice. The water is deep enough for chest waders and I added warmth to them using the small chemical heat packs. In the heart of winter, you really get to look into the bones as all vegetation is gone, everything is exposed - a great opportunity to do a recon for the return trip I will plan for the spring.

RyanSheehan

Reaction score
Switch,
That upper section is fantastic when there are no people there. I try to get up there once or twice a week from NOVA but I tend to get up early and leave Centreville by 5:30 or so to miss traffic. It has been fishing great lately, I have had a bunch of twenty fish plus mornings the last few weeks. You should give that section a chance again its my favorite place on the river(when I have it to myself)

Chillmark

Reaction score
I can't stand this..."twenty fish mornings?" I haven't any more than a 2 fish day ever and I've fished the length and breadth of the Gun in all seasons.

If I get a fish to spit out a fly it's a good day for me.

I swear I wish I could figure out what I was doing wrong. I can't afford a lesson or guided trip though.

So how can one figure out what the problem is?

20+ grumble grumble...

RyanSheehan

Reaction score
First things first ChillMark you need to chill:icon_lol:. Drop me a line and I would be more than happy to fish with you. March is a tough month with low temps but it should really heat up in April and May.

Chillmark

Reaction score
that sounds fantastic...it will probably be two weekends from nwo before I can go. My email is preussen2@hotmail.com . I you know when you might be going let me know and I I can join you I will,
Thanks!

mikehn

Reaction score
I had an hour and a half to kill Saturday afternoon so I went to Falls Rd and just dabbled around a little. Got skunked on different colored buggers and stoneflies, but that's nothing unusual for me.

Chillmark

Reaction score
I ended up going yesterday to where the river crosses 83 and York Road just above hereford. I hiked a mile downstream before I even saw a fish. And the couple I did see weren't intereested in anything I had to offer. Thats the second time I've been to this section. The last time I parked and worked upstream from York road. Both times Ive been disappointed. If anyone has any thoughts on this area I'd be happy to hear it, but I think I won't be going back to this part of the Gun any time soon.

lyjl0323

Reaction score
一项新发明和潮流--拼图

到19世纪初,新的大规模生产工业技术赋予了拼图明确的形式。以前庞大笨重的拼图由边缘光滑的碎片排列组成,轻微的震动就能使它们分开。在1840年左右,德国和法国的拼图制造商用联锁的咬接机来切割拼图,现代的拼图迷们都很熟悉这种形式。他们用软木材、夹板和纸板代替硬木薄板,大大降低了成本。最终价格低廉的拼图被各阶层的消费者接受,很快在孩子们、成年人和老年人中掀起玩拼图狂潮。  拼图很快成为发展成熟的、拥有广大市场的娱乐产品,消费者在任何地方都能买到拼图。此时拼图不仅用于教育和娱乐,也用于商业广告和政治宣传。第一次世界大战(1914-1918)就 是一个很好的例子。廉价的拼图上画有勇敢的战士们奋不顾身地为国王和国家而战,拼图在交战双方都很流行,卖得很好。拼图已成为靠近人们内心世界、进入家庭和传播信息的方法。拼图与报纸、收音机及即将出现的第一代电视成为一种简单而又直接的大众传媒方式。人们应该被鼓励乘火车旅游吗?许多展示雄伟火车和幸福旅游者的拼图就此出现。每一项新发明和潮流——汽船、飞机、汽车以及最新、最大胆的女式泳衣——都曾出现在拼图上。

RyanSheehan

Reaction score
Hit the gun on Monday, very few rising fish but they were very willing to take a zebra midge. Here are some pics. Mark let me know when you want to meet up and go.

Ryan

Chillmark

Reaction score
so in an effort to broaden my fly fishing skills I'd like to try fishing a dropper riog tomorrow or next week when I get out. I was curious if anyone would care ot share any dry/wet combinations they've had success with in the past.

Thanks

switchfisher

Reaction score
We are at the tail end of the summer season, but try a size 12 hopper with a size 16 prince nymph or hares ear.

Just be sure the fly on top floats and the dropper does not drag it under.

good luck!

hunter1

Reaction score
I do o.k. with a hairs ear for the droper and a larger attracter dry fly. But i do better just fishing nymphs. I use beaded one's or pheasant tail work to.If you use a indercator just watch your drift