VA public trout streams near RVA

paflyfish3r

Reaction score
I am looking to explore VA trout fishing, and would like information on any public trout waters/streams near Richmond / Midlothian area. Expect that I will have to travel some distance, but looking forward to see if these streams match up to PA trout waters. Please and thanks!

lil_ol_angler_me

Reaction score
I lived in Richmond for 20+yrs before moving to VA Beach and then the Florida keys and now Las Vegas
that being said, check with the Dept of Fish and Game in Richmond on Broad street, lot's of info there
my personal favorite was Sugar Hollow Reservoir near Crozet, it's fed by the two branches of the Moormans river which has some really nice trout in them, also the lake is really deep and holds some huge trout, sometimes you can see them cruising , offering sight casting oportunities and then the tail water is even prettier although not very long before it goes into private property...easy road for almost any vehicle with normal ground clearance

google it for more info

check up by Shenandoah Lake as well a couple of small but very fishy streams near there

if you can stand the drive...check out Fairy Stone State Park,,,,small 20 Acre + lake CRYSTAL CLEAR see fish on the bottom in 25+feet of water the feed stream has good fish (sorry forget it's name , been gone a bunch of years) and the lake has HUGE pickerel and bass that like to feed on the planted/ stocked trout which if they miss the Bass and Pickerel grow quite large

maybe even collect some of the unique "fairy stones"

good luck

paflyfish3r

Reaction score
I lived in Richmond for 20+yrs before moving to VA Beach and then the Florida keys and now Las Vegas
that being said, check with the Dept of Fish and Game in Richmond on Broad street, lot's of info there
my personal favorite was Sugar Hollow Reservoir near Crozet, it's fed by the two branches of the Moormans river which has some really nice trout in them, also the lake is really deep and holds some huge trout, sometimes you can see them cruising , offering sight casting oportunities and then the tail water is even prettier although not very long before it goes into private property...easy road for almost any vehicle with normal ground clearance

google it for more info

check up by Shenandoah Lake as well a couple of small but very fishy streams near there

if you can stand the drive...check out Fairy Stone State Park,,,,small 20 Acre + lake CRYSTAL CLEAR see fish on the bottom in 25+feet of water the feed stream has good fish (sorry forget it's name , been gone a bunch of years) and the lake has HUGE pickerel and bass that like to feed on the planted/ stocked trout which if they miss the Bass and Pickerel grow quite large

maybe even collect some of the unique "fairy stones"

good luck

thanks for the recommendations- I will look into these waters.

fishinkeebs

Reaction score
Many native streams in the national park and along blue ridge. The pedlar river and tye river hold some good fish. The Game and Fish keeps a stocking schedule and shows lots of trout water.