Mossy Creek Va???

gravesdvm

Reaction score
Hello all,
First post on the forum, I've been lurking and learning for a while. Thanks for the nice site. I'm a medium experienced fly fisherman in north-west Virginia. Not quite a newbie but still lots to learn! I've been trying to find a good trout river close to me. I'm looking for something a little bigger than brook trout in the mountains (which are certainly very nice indeed). I do a fair amount of smallmouth fishing on the Shenandoah but sometimes you just want to see a nice sized trout.

I took a guided trip on the private section of Mossy Creek near Harrisonburg a few months back and had a great time. I caught several nice brown trout. The private section of the stream was beautiful for sure.

I've gone back to the public section three times so far and feeling less than thrilled. I've caused a few medium size fish and one larger fish to stir and flash at my fly, a few briefly hooked but not landed. I've landed a few smaller fish. My concern, there appears to be a large amount of this creek that is being damaged by cows. If you park near the church and go upstream, there is nearly 1.5 miles of unfenced stream. There is a very nice section at the most upper limits of the upstream section but I can't see a whole lot of fish holding in the areas that are being trampled by the cows.
This stream also appears to get heavy pressure by other anglers.

I'm almost to the point of feeling I should just look for better water elsewhere.
Anyone else have experience with the public stretch of Mossy??
Should I stick it out and look a little harder??

Happy to have any other thoughts or recommendations.
Steve

fishinkeebs

Reaction score
welcome to the forum. There is a nice stretch of beaver creek that is open to the public. You jus have to buy a 5 dollar pass from the store on rte. 257 i think. i have fished it many times with decent success and good quality of fish. if wanna know some more streams contact Mossy Creek fly shop in harrisonburg. Also on the other side of the slope is some good streams.

flytieguy

Reaction score
Head over the mountain to Franklin wv and fish the Potomac. Wv fishing license will cost you $70 but it is so worth it. They stock their streams every week ( I think).

bluemike

Reaction score
Yes, based on my experience at the "public" Mossey, I would suggest you could spend the time better elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, Mossey Creek is an outstanding fishery and CAN be a lot of fun. But, it is a very tough challenge and more often than not disappoints. So in my humble opinion, and for all the reasons you already mentioned, there are many better fishing experiences elsewhere in the area.

gravesdvm

Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted this question. I've tried the public section a couple more times and caught some fish but hard work for sure. I'm fairly convinced I should move on to other water. I've figured out I can drive an additional 40 minutes or so and be in Western Maryland. So far, it appears to be worth the extra drive. Beautiful rivers with less crowds. Thanks for all the comments.

flytie09

Reaction score
It's definitely a been there done that stream. It's best left to the locals. Unless you're a glutton for punishment and want to pull your hair out. Don't get me wrong, there are some fine trout in this spring fed stream, but I found it extremely uneventful, difficult and frustrating following behind others.

Am I off on this one? It is on the top 10 of VA list.

diamond rush

Reaction score
Spring creeks are fun, but if I wanted spring creeks I'd go to Minnesota or Wisconsin. When I go trout fishing in Virginia, I go way up into the Shenandoah national park and chase wild brook trout. I have no desire to fish behind someone.