Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Default Gunpowder today.

Finally got a chance to get back to doing some trout fishing today. Wasn't anything special fishing wise, except spending some time with family which is always special, but I wasn't skunked either.

My wife & I went to my oldest son's this morning who lives within a mile of the Gunpowder & I took along a 6 wt & a 4 wt. The intention was to see what I could do with either streamers or terrestrials. My son & his wife took us & my 2 grandsons to a place near York Road where the boys could swim, and I rigged both rods, with the idea that my son might also fish. However, once rigged up he said he hadn't procured a fishing license as yet, so we started off with my oldest grandson (6 years old) learning to cast a fly. At that age they get bored easily & within a short time he decided he would rather play in the water. He did good for his first time with the fly rod!

I headed upstream & after hanging an olive bead head woolly bugger a few times & bending the hook point, I switched to a tiny bead chain Clouser (with pink bead chain eyes). Caught only one small Brown trout of about 10" from under a submerged tree trunk, but since I hadn't fished for trout in many years I was happy with the day! No pic either, maybe next time!

Didn't see anything hatching or fish moving about, but really didn't expect to see much anyway. Had some folks in canoes pass thru & there were other folks with their kids playing in the water. Not exactly ideal for trout or fishing!
    Did not see anyone else fishing however.

It was a nice day weather wise & we were only there about 3 hours. The boys got hungry & so did the rest of the family so we called it a day & went for lunch.

I have a lot of rust to get rid of with small flies & trout, so hopefully I'll get more opportunities in the near future! It sure felt great just getting out!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

2. Likes Rip Tide, jaybo41 liked this post

Default Re: Gunpowder today.

Hey, Big Jim..

Glad you had fun on the GP today. River is tough almost anytime but the middle of the summer seems to make otherwise good fishers turn to the bottle or contemplate more extreme reactions! Right now, early in the morning to catch some tricos, which are unfortunately more likely to be further upstream, or late in the day to try some caddis or terrestrials are the golden times. Mid-day is often a poor time to fish + you have to compete with tubers, kayakers, dog walkers, hikers, birdwatchers, rock throwers, stone skippers, and folks who just want to jump up and down in the water. We drove past the bridge on York about 4:00 p.m and it was a really a zoo. Masemore Bridge not much different. Cops were out at Monkton ticketing illegal parkers and doing what appeared to be crowd control. That you got any fishing in at all under those circumstances is pretty close to a real miracle!

Check out this Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/marylandtu

We try to post weekly stream reports for the GP... You might find some helpful...

Best to you...

Thanks for the comments & link!

In the past I primarily fished further upstream for trout, or way down in the RT 1 to Rt 7 area for bass. Last couple of times I fished for trout was up near the dam.

I've fished in mid summer & mid day before & caught trout, just not many. I'm OK with that. Most trout fishing anywhere I've done in the past was either mid summer or winter. Unfortunate result of my work schedule.

We got to the river about 10AM & left around 1PM & there was plenty of other folks there at that time, but like I said none fishing.

Since I had not been up there in a long time this was more of a scouting trip for me than anything, and that one small Brown made it a successful day.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Couple of pics my daughter in law took!

Me.

Grandson.