Fredericksburg VA

nobullygator

Reaction score
Im gonna be visiting family there, but I wanna set aside a day for fishing. Are there any fly shops there and what kind of fishing is to be had there.

acorad

Reaction score
We visit inlaws up river from Fberg about 20 miles or so on the Rappahannock every summer. After several summers of slinging rapalas with no luck, this summer I spent an hour or so fly fishing a hopper pattern and caught smallmouth bass, sunfish and some kind of chub-looking fish.

Can't wait to spend more time on the river next summer!

Andy

lil_ol_angler_me

Reaction score

bigjim5589

Reaction score
There was a fly shop there at one time, but don't know if it's still there. I don't recall the shop name either.

Bass are the main quarry there as has been said. There are some trout streams up towards Warrenton of you want to take the time to travel up that way.

Further south the Rappahannock becomes tidal, so there's some opportunity for other species too depending on when you go.

There are several streams that flow into the Rap that are crossed by US Rt 17.

I've never fished there unfortunately, only know a little about the area from traveling thru with my job.

Lake Anna is not too far away, but again don't know much more specifically for fishing there.

diamond rush

Reaction score
You're just over an hour from the Eastern slope streams of the Shenandoah National Park. Excellent brook trout fishing, if you're into that. The only fly shops I know of in that area are in the DC suburbs or Charlottesville, VA. If you're driving through Charlottesville, the Albermarle Angler is an excellent fly shop. They will be able to point you in the right direction.

The Orvis shop in Tyson Corner is just off 495 in DC. The service is hit-or-miss. Talk to the young guys working there. They know the Shenandoah park very well.

nobullygator

Reaction score
You're just over an hour from the Eastern slope streams of the Shenandoah National Park. Excellent brook trout fishing, if you're into that. The only fly shops I know of in that area are in the DC suburbs or Charlottesville, VA. If you're driving through Charlottesville, the Albermarle Angler is an excellent fly shop. They will be able to point you in the right direction.

The Orvis shop in Tyson Corner is just off 495 in DC. The service is hit-or-miss. Talk to the young guys working there. They know the Shenandoah park very well.
Brook trout fishing sounds awesome right now, but unfortunately were leaving a day late. That means theres not an extra day to fish :(