Fly fishing spots near Washington, DC

JeffK

Reaction score
I'm new to the sport, and fairly new to the DC area. I just purchased a new LL Bean setup (Double L, 9ft Rod, 5wt. w/ Double L Reel). I and am excited to get out and fish.

I'm looking for suggestions of good places to fish near Washington, DC.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Bob Lang

Reaction score
Jeff,

I've never fished the D. C. area, but I did read a book about fishing that area. If memory serves, and it is getting old, Howell Raines wrote a book about fishing and some of the fishing was in the D. C. area. As I recall the name of the book is Fly Fishing Through the Midlife Crisis. I was surprised one could fish for trout yet literally still be in the downtown area. He also covers trout fishing in Maryland, West Virgiania, etc. It's been a long time since I read it.

I don't know if it is still in print, but someone ought to have it for sale.

Good luck and good fishing.

Bob

jimw

Reaction score
The Potomac River is a great bass fishery the tidal portion south of DC is excellent fishing for LMB (boat required) and they are catching alot of shad right now at a place called Fletchers landing. North of Dc is some of the best SMB fishing around, lots of wadeable fishing. the further you get from the city the better the fishing and the crowds wont be as bad.
Tight Lines
Jim

xjguy07

Reaction score
their are plenty of spots around the dc area, the potomac river is great for bass gills and warm water fish, then in maryland their is the upper potomac in western maryland with trout, along with the potaspaco in centural md around b-more, and va and pa have lot's of locations also. just look around on here or google or find a good book

burns

Reaction score
The Gunpowder river offers year-round WILD brown trout fishing about 1.5 hours from DC. I went yesterday and caught 6 or 7 browns in about 3 hours. They are mostly 6-10 inches but there are plenty of fish 14" and up if you have some luck. There is a shop there called Backwater Angler, they'll point you in the right direction.

If you simply check the Maryland DNR, they list stocked streams with dates.

vaflyguy

Reaction score
I've lived and fished here(NOVA DC metro)all my life, just pick a piece of water, unless it's trout, or small mouth waters, it's all the same.

royal wulff

Reaction score
Hey there. I'm new to the sport myself. My son recently moved out to Colorado and I like to visit from time to time, but he likes to ski and mountain bike -- so I picked up flyfishing to see if I liked it and if I did, that's what I would do out in colorado on my visits. So, my son takes us out to places where he can mountain bike while I'm fishing a nice, clear, Rocky Mountain stream. So, far I've fished the South Platte (north fork) and the Poudre river up above Ft. Collins almost in Wyoming. Wow. Plenty of browns and some rainbows to be had in both rivers.

I live closer in towards D.C. but still in Md. I hit the Big Hunting Creek often. It is under lots of pressure though. The water under the bridge is the most pressurized -- but if you start at the first parking pull in spot after the creek passes under the bridge (about 1/2 mile up) and fish upstream all the way up as far as the dam, you'll run into plenty of riffles and pools with brookies in them.

Watch Owens creek, which is also in the Catoctin park. No water now -- but they tell me its awesome in the spring. they stock it with browns in both spring and fall -- although, after the fall stocking, I went up there this year and cant figure out where the fish go. But try that in the spring.

lately I have been hitting the rivers and streams in Va. Thats where you'll find the best water and action outside of Big Gunpowder river. Good luck to you.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Jeff-

If you're new to the sport (and even if you aren't) you might want to consider joining a local chapter of Trout Unlimited. Their HQ are in DC, but they have local chapters in MD and VA. You can find them at Home | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries and click on the links for chapters to find one nearby.

It's great way to get up to speed on casting, tying, tactics, gear and rigging, where to go, and meet some new friends. Most chapters have casting and tying clinics, organize trips to local waters etc as well as have informative monthly meetings. You'll learn a ton and it'll really help your learning curve, while helping to support the resource. Many folks in TU FF for a bunch of other stuff too of course, so you'll get lots of info on smallmouth and other warmwater opportunities in the area, as well as salt water, if you want to take that up at some point too.

Good luck!

peregrines

CpRiver4

Reaction score
Jeff,

I live in DC as well. I'm in NE, where are you located. My friend and I plan on taking a lot of trips to explore all the close waters around the DC area. You are more than welcome to come along when we head out.

pweddel

Reaction score
There are plenty of places to fish that are relatively close to DC. I used to live in Prince William County, and I've made several trips to the Shenandoah National Park and nearby places. For warmwater fishing, I've had the most success fishing for smallmouth bass on the Rappahannock River, upstream of the I-95 bridge. Check out Mossy Creek Fly Fishing for good stretches of private water to fish in the Staunton/Harrisonburg area

royal wulff

Reaction score
Try these spots around the D.C. area to fly fish -- for trout, that is.

Patapsco State Park -- Avalon area -- at Ellicott City, Md.

Big Hunting Creek: Catoctin State park, thurmont, Md.

Owens Creek: Thurmont, Md -- Spring only, after stocking

Great Seneca Creek: Montgomery County -- put in at Rifflesford Rd. and Black Rock Road. -- looks fantastic, just not much fish -- good for practice

Gun Powder Falls -- above and near Baltimore -- fantastic fishing

Shenandoah national park, Va.
a. Hughes River
b. Rose River
c. Rapidan River (good enough for Pres. Hoover, its good enough for us)
d. Moorman's River -- near Charlottesville, Va. worth the drive
e. Piney River -- good for beautful brookies
f. Jeremy's Run -- great for Brookies -- bears too!

Google any of these to get directions, water flows, ect. Have fun see you out there!!!

jr1964

Reaction score
The Tidal Basin is a good spot in the evening on an incoming tide for bass and bluegills, Oxen Cove is a good spot for Crappie, Bass and Carp, The Duck Pond and the Pentagon Lagoon are good for Bass and Bluegills. The Duck pond can be accesed from the rest area just before you get to National Air port, Fletchers Cove is good for Bass, Shad in the Spring, Bluegills on a high tide, Rockfish and walleye at times. The Clouser minnows work for Bass and Rockfish, Gnat and hopper patterns work good for bluegills and crappie, poppers work as a good strike indicator tie the popper on first and add a gnat or hopper pattern 18 inches behind it.

Caddisfly

Reaction score
If you want good trout fishing on the fly I would go to Rose River Farm. Its about 1.5 hours from DC just of route 29 as you head to Charlottesville. Trophy rainbow trout fishing on about a mile and a half of private water. Very reasonable rates for the quality of the fishery and the beauty of the surroundings. They have a real good website www.roseriverfarm.com

JoEl Budd

Reaction score
Hi, i am pretty new to fly fishing also (1 weekend last summer) but i already love it and am looking forward to making another trip.

i found a place in Edinburg, VA on the Shennadoah. It is a bed and breakfast very reasonable price called the Hatch. check for it on the web. great couple run it.

He give BASIC lessons if desired and a guide service.
:frogdance frogdance
I plan on returning at least once or twice this year.

Caddisfly

Reaction score
I just fished Rose River Farm again last week. It was unreal-- big fish and bugs coming off everywhere. Who would have thought winter fishing could be dry fly fishing in the DC area.

newflywv

Reaction score
I live in NOVA and its a quick trip to the cold waters of MD/WV to dip a line. Google trout fishing in WV, MD and VA. The mtns of WV are 2 hrs or less to a trout stream, VA is even closer.

mikehn

Reaction score
Dont forget there are plenty of world class trout waters along the southern PA area that are less than 2 hour drive from DC. Also the bass fishery in the lower Susky.

switchfisher

Reaction score
The ultimate source for fishing spots is the good old Depts of Natural Resources.

Just look at the stocking plan - it lists every place in the state. Maryland's is spectacular because they have taken the time to put links to Google local in that show you exactly where the stocked section is. There are no secrets with public water.

Once you find a likely place, just google it using the name and type of fish and you can find more info.

Maryland - Introduction to Maryland's Spring Trout Stocking Schedule

Virginia - Trout Guide: Area Maps