Gunpowder report

smallbow

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and also new to the Maryland area, and somewhat new to fly fishing all together. Anyways, I headed up to gunpowder early the other morning to find some new water and hopefully land a few fish. After a few tough hours I finally found a seem where I caught three small brown trout using wet flies.None of them were big, but nonetheless a good day on the water!

Last edited:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, and to the sport, and to MD from a former MD'r.

That's not a bad day on the Gunpowder with as much fishing pressure as it gets, particularly for a newbie to the area.

There are some very large trout in that river, and of you fish there enough, you're bound to hook up with a few! :D

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Pictures not coming through on my end but a 'Good Day Fishing Is Better than one in the Office.'

Another 'Wonder Back:'

Long time back now but with our 'Investors' (Mortgage Banking) I was the 'local guide.' Most of the folks were a total delight on the river; a rare clinker. Load up the drift boat, camping gear, coolers full of food ... and beer ... and single malts:rolleyes: Off we'd go for three or four days.

Tents, real crystal glassware on the beach, one ice cube, a health chug of single malt in the glass. Could be raining like heck but most didn't want to pull out and 'go home.'

Chairman of the Board of a very large S $ L investor (purchased our mortgages); total trooper even at his age. In our tent, my Dog rolled up next to him, zonked out .... :rolleyes: 'I'd ask you how much you want for the Dog but I know he's not for sale.' :thumbsupu

30 minutes from launch and he had 'FISH ON!!!" First of four or five. Only kept one for food; I just rowed the boat, '40 pulls off the reel (about 3' each), get the Plug running; always fish here.'

Odd bit is the discussion of 'business' was really pretty rare.

I liked it that way; probably so did he.

fae

smallbow

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, I think I fixed the photos! Although if you still cannot see them on your end I also added them to a gallery on my profile.Also any advice for tackling the gunpowder would be appreciated! :)

bigjim5589

Reaction score
At one time fishing during the week, when most folks were working was the thing to do for the Gunpowder, but that's no longer the case, as too many have caught on to that. I didn't fish there a lot, as my job & time prevented it, plus, I lived closer to Annapolis than that part of the state. When I did go there, it was most often during the winter months, which meant streamers, nymphs and wet flies. Those times I did get to spend on that river in warmer weather usually meant terrestrial patterns, or the otheR fly types mentioned. I was OK with that, as I never developed into much of a dry fly angler anyway. Spent much more time chasing the bass, panfish & Striped bass that MD had to offer.

Best advice I can give is to fish as often as possible to learn the waters, and talk to the guys at Great Feathers, and Backwater Angler, the two shops up there and get advice from them about what's happening on the river at any given time. The owners & staff at both are all very knowledgeable.

My oldest son just moved to San Francisco with his job, and he lived in Monkton for a few years. Actually, his house there is for sale. I regret that he & I never got to fish the Gunpowder together, but my oldest grandson got to fish with me there, if only for a very short while. :)

smallbow

Reaction score
Thank you! Not much of a dry fly angler myself either, next time I am running low on tackle I'll be sure to stop in one of those shops!

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Smallbow, many who fish there will tell you you need specific flies & sizes, and some will tell you to go very small. I found that many flies & sizes can work well there. Only once did I ever find that matching the hatch very close was needed on the Gunpowder. I was fishing during a hatch & had nothing in my fly boxes of the size & color, so caught no trout that day. I got plenty of refusals on the few dry flies I had, no interest subsurface & they were only interested in dry flies it seemed. It happens. I did catch a few SM bass & some Bluegills (or other Sunfish species) so for me that day was still a success. There are many who fish midges there in the colder months, and for me streamers, nymphs & wet flies worked well. I rarely fished anything smaller than a size 16. The last trout I caught there was a small Brown, on a Clouser Minnow style pattern that I had tied for Crappies & other panfish. ;)

When I got up into that area, and had time I still made a point of going into those shops to look around & chat even when I didn't really need anything. I always took away some good stream information, and usually, I bought something! :rolleyes:

When I was a young man back in the late 70's I fished the Gunpowder often enough, but more so the lower sections near US RT 1, down stream to US RT 40. There were plenty of bass in there & trout too. That was before the sections of river that are now excellent trout waters, became such. It's a unique river for MD, and without travelling to the western reaches of the state, certainly the best trout waters.

I also fished frequently enough, some sections of the Patuxent, Deer Creek and a few lesser known streams, and they all held some trout, plus SM & LM bass & panfish. Deer Creek was a favorite since it was close to the Susquehanna River. I liked to fish the sections of Deer Creek up in Rocks State Park for trout, and the lower end near it's confluence with the Susquehanna for bass. Also fished there for Shad in the spring, but the Shad runs are not what they used to be when I was younger.

Growing up, I wanted to be a fly angler who targeted trout, and I got to fish many of the known trout waters but frankly MD offers much more in the way of warmwater & tidalwater species that were much easier for me to gain access, that most of my fly fishing life in MD was not spent on trout streams. If you ever want any advice for places to target bass or Stripers, give be a holler! :D

smallbow

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I have targeted largemouth a lot, mostly in the Columbia area , but never on a fly rod! I would love to get on some strippers, but I would have no idea where to start , having no experience chasing them!

gkdevon1

Reaction score
Awesome, I love fishing the gunpowder because it is very rewarding to figure that river out. I haven't gotten up there yet this year but will soon.