VA licensing question

jayr

Reaction score
I am currently trying to wade through the VA trout fishing regs and it appears that if you do NOT fish stocked waters, you do NOT need the trout permit. Is this correct?

bluemike

Reaction score
I am currently trying to wade through the VA trout fishing regs and it appears that if you do NOT fish stocked waters, you do NOT need the trout permit. Is this correct?
Yes, that is my understanding also. Unless you happen to be fishing some of the native/non-stocked brook trout streams in the SNP or GWNF.

flytie09

Reaction score
I don't believe that to be correct.......

If trout fishing resident or non resident:

- You must have a fishing license
- The additional Trout license is required Oct 1 - June 15 (that's when VA stocks streams). Otherwise one isn't required.
- Planning to fish National Forests? George Washington and Jefferson National Forests? Then you need a National Forest Stamp.
- Planning to fish Special Reg Areas? Then you need to get a daily permit. Sections of the Dan River and Mossy Creek come to mind.

Confused yet?

And if you plan to fish most of the Jackson River down from Lake Moomaw? Plan to wear a bullet proof vest..........

ft09

vaheelsfan

Reaction score
A trout license is required to fish stocked trout waters (put and take and delayed harvest) from October 1-June 15, regardless of if you're fishing for stocked trout or not. All of these waters are marked by VDGIF with signs. If you're fishing outside of the stocked portion of a stream, you do not need a trout license. Wild/native only streams do not require a trout license, regardless of location.