New to the Blacksburg/Roanoke area

Reaction score
Just moved from central TX to the Blacksburg area. I have been fly fishing since I was 8 years old. I tie my own flies, build rods, volunteer with PHWFF. I grew up in Oregon, joined the Army out of high school, fished all over the place in the 27 years of service. Will be retired from the Army 2 years in January. I am currently working with Orvis as a maintenance lead at the Roanoke Service Center. I just found this forum so I figured I would sign up. I am a member over on the ULFF forum, Texas Fishing Forum, Warm Water forum and a few others. 99% of my fishing is with UL wet and below. Having been here in VA for a month now, I have fished a few spots locally. Little Stoney Creek, Pandapas Pond, New River, and the Roanoke for the Smallmouth on the Roanoke Tournement a few weeks ago. Looking at all the old posts on here so it may be awhile before I get around to posting any reports, but I can guarantee they will be on the way.

flytie09

Reaction score
Welcome.... the area is not a hot spot for trout... but it is for bass. Thanks for joining.

ft09

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. Little Stoney Creek has done me well for smaller native brookies. They are a lot of fun on my 2 wt and Tenkara rod so far. SM on the New River we’re in the 10-12” range and a lot of fun as well.
NR

LSC

djb_88

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I’m glad you’re posting. The Roanoke area is on my short list of places to move to once my wife finishes school. Looking forward to your reports. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melikou1

Reaction score
Just moved from central TX to the Blacksburg area. I have been fly fishing since I was 8 years old. I tie my own flies, build rods, volunteer with PHWFF. I grew up in Oregon, joined the Army out of high school, fished all over the place in the 27 years of service. Will be retired from the Army 2 years in January. I am currently working with Orvis as a maintenance lead at the Roanoke Service Center. I just found this forum so I figured I would sign up. I am a member over on the ULFF forum, Texas Fishing Forum, Warm Water forum and a few others. 99% of my fishing is with UL wet and below. Having been here in VA for a month now, I have fished a few spots locally. Little Stoney Creek, Pandapas Pond, New River, and the Roanoke for the Smallmouth on the Roanoke Tournement a few weeks ago. Looking at all the old posts on here so it may be awhile before I get around to posting any reports, but I can guarantee they will be on the way.
Rather jealous...went to VT around 40 years ago. Always went on opening day on Big Stoney and while everyone was standing elbow to elbow around the deep pools, fished the overlooked riffles that opened into a bit of a slow area and always had fun. My fishing partner (used to work with my father in Maryland but was transferred to Radford) pulled a 5 lb 24" Rainbow out fishing a ledge under a bridge.

Would take the trout back to my dorm room and fry them up in an electric frypan that I had and everyone on the floor would be drooling...back then the dining halls weren't what they are now.

Also had a great time in Floyd County...was a barbless catch and release area at the time on the Little River. Great memories, beautiful area. Enjoy!

dhaynes

Reaction score
Head down to the Smith River. It's about a 40 mile drive straight down Route 220. Lots of access between Philpott and Martinsville and below the dam in Martinsville. Check out Smith River Trout Unlimited for more local input. Smith River Outfitters in Bassett can give you more info as well.

50fish

Reaction score
Make sure to come up I-81 a couple hours and fish the Shenandoah for bass, south river or mossy creek for trout, and Shenandoah National park for brookies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r_brian

Reaction score
Welcome, from also a new member. I also went to Va Tech 40 some years ago. Fished Craigs Creek, Poverty Creek, Big Stoney and Little Stony. Try hiking all the way up Little Stony to the Cascades (the first waterfall) and hike around the falls; 5 more falls above there and no fishing pressure (at least there wasn't 40 years ago).

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
I'm in Lynchburg myself which is kind of a dead area for trout. There are plenty of areas within a 30-45 min drive of Roanoke with fantastic fishing. If you ever want an overnight trip check out Whitetop Laurel in Damascus. welcome to the area. Learn to love Maroon and Orange, get a cheesy from the T-room, and enjoy some of the best smallie fishing in the US.