New River, Long Shop, VA

Reaction score
Well this is the first trip out in about 3 to 4 weeks. I sold my non-ul TFO Mangrove 4wt and attempted to pick up a Orvis Recon 3 wt. local shop didn’t have them in stock but the service center that I work at had them in stock. Unfortunately I can just pick it up myself. So fedex to NC, then USPS to my door. Not sure how that works, house is 46 miles from work, in the same state. 100+ miles out of the way, just to come right back. Go figure! Any ways 7 days later it was delivered to my door on Tuesday. Carried it around in my truck until this morning where I took it out for the first time. Generally I leave the plastic on the grip until I catch the first fish with the rod. Well the Recon didn’t have any so I figured I would be jinxed from the get go. Not the case! Hit up the New River a whopping 4 miles from the house. Rigged up the Orvis Recon 8’4” 3wt, Battenkill II reel, Hydros Superfine 4wt line, braided maxima chameleon leader, 3 ft of 5x fluorocarbon leader and tied on a trout magnet soft plastic crawdad on a #10 1/80oz jig hook.
Brought a couple dozen of these guys to hand:

Followed by some of these:

And the last fish of the morning:

All and all a good 2 hours on the water. Need to spend some more time with the Recon to get a honest assessment of it so far I’m liking it. The reel is a different story. The click paw is a little on the light side for my taste, and it has a small arbor as well. Think I’m going to load the line on my Redington Zero 2/3. Same diameter, and weight, but larger arbor, wider, and the clicker is a little bit stiffer. And put my 2wt line and the Battenkill on my 2wt TFO Finesse

skippy78

Reaction score
I was just through there last weekend. Though I have never fished that section of the river.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

flytie09

Reaction score
I'm 30 min from there. If you need a first mate for your boat... I'm there. The New River has some great bass and musky fishing.

ft09

Reaction score
No boat, wading only. Work second shift 3:30 to midnight plus a hour on each side for the drive. Monday - Friday and it seems like saturdays to.