Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: VA smallmouth?

Default VA smallmouth?

Looking into a new type of fishing for myself. I am a trout guy, but find myself in south central VA for work.

I am somewhat close to the James at Lynchburg and probably other good smallmouth rivers.

I do not have a boat so wading is about my only option. My only rod that appears to be passable for a smallmouth rod is a 9' 6 weight. Is that doable?

Any tips that might help me? PM is fine too.
    Mainline the blueline

Default Re: VA smallmouth?

Pm sent

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

A 9' 6wt will work just fine for Smallmouth. On a few outings this past summer I opted for my 9' 5wt vs. my 9' 7wt just for the fun of it!

This time of the year in the water I fish a large stonefly pattern fished under float works great.

Good Luck!

Denny.

4. Default Re: VA smallmouth?

Quote Originally Posted by jayr View Post
    Looking into a new type of fishing for myself. I am a trout guy, but find myself in south central VA for work.

I am somewhat close to the James at Lynchburg and probably other good smallmouth rivers.

I do not have a boat so wading is about my only option. My only rod that appears to be passable for a smallmouth rod is a 9' 6 weight. Is that doable?

That's my stomping grounds. There are some amazing smallies in the area. lots of wadeable water on the James. A 6wt will work but I prefer a 7 or 8, especially in areas there could be musky.

The water is cooling now. Best wading is in the spring and summer but the fall bite should be on now or soon.

5. Default Re: VA smallmouth?

Quote Originally Posted by jayr View Post

Did you find any good spots? I just moved to Richmond, VA and I've been itching to fly fish for some smallmouth. Also, what fly patterns were working for you? I've fished for them with a standard fishing set up and got a few off some poppers and crayfish jigs. I was thinking about getting some brownish crayfish patterns and some sort of topwater. Maybe a streamer. thanks

No, I haven't had the time to go after any smallmouth, I've been concentrating on trout. Been hitting the GWNF and SNP.
    Mainline the blueline