North Fork Shennandoah

Red Owl

Reaction score
I might be able to get in one afternoon of fishing near Front Royal. I need an area shallow enough to wade and a place to park the car. Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks . If there are better area streams then I'm all ears :cool:

ddb

Reaction score
Go west @ 20 miles over the mountain to Edinburg VA. Just outside of town headed south on the main drag, take the first (?) left down to the river, left again and park way down that road. A very good, wadeable, smallmouth run is at your feet.

And you can stop by Harry Murray's shop in town for even more detailed directions and some tips on what to use.

ddb

Hombre06

Reaction score
Yep. Go west of the mountain to Murray’s fly shop. There’s less pressure and there’s good water near his shop.

Red Owl

Reaction score
Thanks, I've been in his shop so I have a pretty good idea of what you are talking about. I'll go there. I wasn't sure on the river's depth in that area. :)

Red Owl

Reaction score
Well, I finally found the spot that is on the You Tube, it is actually north of the Junction, a couple of miles outside of Front Royal at Warren Dam. It doesn't look like you can park there even though there is a gravel parking lot, it might be owned by First Energy and it could be that it is okay to park there.
It also looks like there is riffle water right in Front Royal with a parking area and trail along the bank. I have no idea if you can wade that area. I;d rather be in a wooded area.
The attraction in the video (Warren Dam)was the water was shallow enough to wade. It seems like trying to cast a fly line from shore would be very difficult. There was another spot Deer Rapids 3 miles south of Strasburg that looked like it might be a good area. There is a city park in Strasburg but from Google satellite it looked like it may be deep water. :cool:
Any ideas welcomed.