VA Cabin Destination Help

jspfishing

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My wife and I just moved to Richmond, VA about 6 months ago, so far everything is wonderful here. She wants to get a cabin for a few days in the mountains, but also get something close to a good trout stream or river. Does anyone have any thoughts on where their is cabins available by a decent body of water. Options are open to all of VA mountainous areas and maybe some of WV areas. I saw that the Rose River Farm offers great fishing and lodge; however, they are a little pricy for last min. If it was planned a few months ago then I would do Rose River Farm. Thanks

Respectfully,

Joe

flytie09

Reaction score
There are cabins available for rent in SW VA. These can be had at many of the larger state parks.....

- Hungry Mother State Park
- Claytor Lake Park
- Douthat State Park
- Smith Mountain Lake State Park
- Fairystone
- Bear Lake

A funny name but nice spot is Cacapon State park in WV. There are cabins, a golf course, a rec room, a pond, and bird hunting close by at Quail Hollow preserve. There is bass fishing on the Potomac or good trout fishing in a 1 hr range from this base camp.

MM

jspfishing

Reaction score

Oh yea, I found them and heard amazing things about the place. Just a little pricy for last min trip. It's about $280 a night. Trying to stay under 2 a night. I will reserve something with them closer to spring. Yea I saw that they support Project Healing Waters. I'm actually attending a meeting with them early Jan to see what I can do to help. I'm a vet, but I was blessed to come out strong and healthy. Thanks

Do you have a price range? Distance limitation?
Try to stay under $200 a night and distance probably 6 hours +- 2 hours.

North Fork of the Tye river. Google it
Thanks. About to google now.

Elk River West Virginia, Lodge, cabins, trophy Trout, restaurant, shop and guides
Nice. I can use a trophy trout to start the new year haha. Thanks

Harman’s Luxury Cabins in Cabins, WV

Awesome. Going to check it out. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ya'll, that was fast. Thanks for the helpful information. About to google them now.

Respectfully,

Joe

jspfishing

Reaction score
If you really want to spend some coin:

- Greenbier in White Sulphur Springs, WV - The Greenbrier - America's Resort since 1778
- Primland in Meadows of Dan, VA - Luxury Blue Ridge Mountain Resorts | Primland | Blue Ridge Mountain Hotel, In Virginia

But might fall just outside your budget. A little.... but winter can bring some great deals.

MM
Wow those are nice. Primeland looks great. Definitely need to go there when it warms up. My wife and I like to cycle. Plus, fishing...pshhh golden.

jspfishing

Reaction score
Going with the Elk River. I am new to the sport and it sounds like the Elk can present some challenges. I might get a guide to show me the ropes. Thanks for the help everyone. Hopefully I can land something decent.

melikou1

Reaction score
Harman’s Luxury Cabins in Cabins, WV

Along with the Harman's Cabins, just up the road a few miles is Smokehole Resort. Smoke Hole Resort Lodging and Caverns in Seneca Rocks, West Virginia. Harman's Cabins has the advantage of actually owning a bit of the river (North Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac) so its access is limited to the guests. A bit of a haul from Richmond, but a simply gorgeous area, as all of WV is (and VA, MD and PA) up through the US Route 219/220 corridor.

That being said, I've always wanted to go to Elk River where you're headed. Don't think you can go wrong, and might have a bit more for the two of you to do. Enjoy!

7gunny

Reaction score
Going with the Elk River. I am new to the sport and it sounds like the Elk can present some challenges. I might get a guide to show me the ropes. Thanks for the help everyone. Hopefully I can land something decent.
Let us know how that turns out. Actually thinking about heading there myself for a needed break.

jspfishing

Reaction score
Let us know how that turns out. Actually thinking about heading there myself for a needed break.
Do you actually have any insight on what flies I should be taking? I saw that the hatch chart said #22-24 black stonefly. I also read that midges do well. I tied #20/22 blood red and reddish black midges. Maybe scuds? If I called the fly shop would they be willing to tell me what to bring? Although, I don't want to seem that I will take away business from them by not buying their flies or guide service. I will most likely get 1 guide day so I can guarantee better odds.

psishapiro

Reaction score
Sounds great! I haven’t fished the Elk yet, but maybe I can get there in 2018! Have a great time!

melikou1

Reaction score
Do you actually have any insight on what flies I should be taking? I saw that the hatch chart said #22-24 black stonefly. I also read that midges do well. I tied #20/22 blood red and reddish black midges. Maybe scuds? If I called the fly shop would they be willing to tell me what to bring? Although, I don't want to seem that I will take away business from them by not buying their flies or guide service. I will most likely get 1 guide day so I can guarantee better odds.
Call and set up the guide first and I’m sure they’ll be happy to tell you what to bring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vamtnbiker

Reaction score

I would also make sure to bring some egg patterns, and some mop flies in chartreuse and orange. These are effective flies when fishing for stocked trout.

7gunny

Reaction score
Pheasant tails should be good in smaller sizes 16-22 along with midges, small stones, scud's and maybe a small emerger.

Red Owl

Reaction score
There are some pretty affordable cabins around Shenandoah River State Park and canoe rentals with a shuttle- that would be for small mouth.
There is a club that is part of the Appalachian Mountain Club and they have a string of primitive cabins in Shenandoah NP.