WV In Feb???

kevind62

Reaction score
Anyone have any reports for WV for February? Trying to map out a short fishing trip when I get home in a couple weeks. Thinking maybe Elk River.

c web

Reaction score
I have been looking at WV a lot lately. Planning on using Tea Creek as a base of operations. Never fished it so can't answer your question but if you go I would love a trip report.

kevind62

Reaction score
I was thinking of either Elk River or Cranberry. Tea Creek isn't that far off. Not 100% set on an itinerary as of yet. It'll be a road trip so trying to decide how far I want to drive. May just make the "short" trip to NC. Got a nephew that live near Columbia, SC that's been bugging me to go fishing again. Not sure he'll be able to get away long enough to go to WV. But you never know about me. I'm off for 4 weeks so may fish NC a few days then head on up to WV. Never fished up there yet and it's been bugging me. I'll let you know and post a report regardless of where I go and end up.

c web

Reaction score
Asheville is a short haul up I-26 from Columbia if the traffic is not bad. I would be tempted to get on the water as quick as possible. :D

kevind62

Reaction score
It depends on who my fishing partner is. If it's my son or nephew, yes. If it's the spousal unit, she requires a little more maintenance so it's usually a motel or cabin rental. :D

c web

Reaction score
I do more solo than anything else so spend a lot of nights in my hammock.

I am dying to get out now but our weather has been really bad this winter, guess I ain't as tough as I used to be. :)

kevind62

Reaction score
Unfortunately, my schedule doesn't allow me to wait on weather. If I don't go while I'm home it's a month before I can try again.

jspfishing

Reaction score
I went to the Elk in -2 weather lol. I wasn’t cold, but the fishing was slow. My first time there so it was harder for me. Nice area though. If you get a sunny winter day it will produced good. Few people that hit the Elk a ton told me mop flies are used on super cold days. 22-26 PTs/black midges

vaheelsfan

Reaction score
If you'll be venturing out in the Williams/Cranberry River area make sure you're prepared for winter weather regardless of forecast. Not a good place to be stuck. Tea Creek campground doesn't open until March. There are also dispersed camping sites along Williams River Road that allow easy access but you won't be in an actual campground.

charliepff

Reaction score
I would definitely agree with the above post. Especially anywhere in the mountain areas. The weather will change quick and usually not for the better.