Virginia Beach on the fly advice

jspfishing

Reaction score
Going to VA beach in a few days. I've only fished conventional off the piers last summer. Not sure of any good areas where I can fly fish. I don't have a boat, but might rent a kayak. Anyone have any ideas on spots, recommended rod weight/gear, or experienced a good fly fishing guide down there? I'm open to all intel. Thanks

vaheelsfan

Reaction score
Going to VA beach in a few days. I've only fished conventional off the piers last summer. Not sure of any good areas where I can fly fish. I don't have a boat, but might rent a kayak. Anyone have any ideas on spots, recommended rod weight/gear, or experienced a good fly fishing guide down there? I'm open to all intel. Thanks
I’ve never flyfished saltwater but, based on my very limited knowledge, if I was looking to fish from a kayak I’d probably put in at the Lynnhaven Inlet boat ramp off of Shore Drive and fish back inland. Puppy drum and trout would be your main species to target but this past winter may have put a hurt on the trout populations. Back Bay would also be a decent option although that’s more freshwater fishing than salt.

jspfishing

Reaction score
I will definitely go back to slay some puppy drum when it gets warmer. I'm stuck with a 5wt for now, but i'll try those the inlets. Thanks.

jspfishing

Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread. I will be in the area soon.
It was still cold when I went and it really was not a fishing trip. I mostly did some surveillance and pick the brains. From what I gathered, you need a boat or kayak to really do good. Rudee inlet and lynhaven area are full of fish. Redfish, flounder, tautog, black bass, cobia, speckled trout, etc. Should be kicking off after the storm this week lol.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I lived in the area for about 22 months and fished over on the Eastern Shore. Two favorite places were at Accomac and at Tom's Cove, from Toms Cove beach you can walk north for miles and it's undeveloped. At Accomac there are barrier islands which keep the surf down. Lots of fish out there. I never fished at VA. Beach because of the more urban environment and it's probably gotten worse since my last times down there in 1998. I started exploring the Eastern Shore in 92 then kept returning until 98.

jspfishing

Reaction score
I lived in the area for about 22 months and fished over on the Eastern Shore. Two favorite places were at Accomac and at Tom's Cove, from Toms Cove beach you can walk north for miles and it's undeveloped. At Accomac there are barrier islands which keep the surf down. Lots of fish out there. I never fished at VA. Beach because of the more urban environment and it's probably gotten worse since my last times down there in 1998. I started exploring the Eastern Shore in 92 then kept returning until 98.
Awesome! I will definitely check it out. Thanks

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If you do please take a few pictures and post back onto the thread. I can't tell you the places I suggested are the best places to fish or that you're gonna catch a bunch but they were pretty secluded. I have a habit of looking for places where there aren't a bunch of people fishing. Sometimes this results in my fishing where there aren't many fish but I've been satisfied with the trade off for a long time now. It's not that I'm antisocial, not at all, sometimes it's cool to be around others even when fishing. I've met some great people through fishing but I've had a few come along that ruined my day too. The older I get the more inclined I am to seek solitude. I guess that once I get so old that I have to be concerned that there's no one around in case I need help I'll quit fishing :)

jspfishing

Reaction score
If you do please take a few pictures and post back onto the thread. I can't tell you the places I suggested are the best places to fish or that you're gonna catch a bunch but they were pretty secluded. I have a habit of looking for places where there aren't a bunch of people fishing. Sometimes this results in my fishing where there aren't many fish but I've been satisfied with the trade off for a long time now. It's not that I'm antisocial, not at all, sometimes it's cool to be around others even when fishing. I've met some great people through fishing but I've had a few come along that ruined my day too. The older I get the more inclined I am to seek solitude. I guess that once I get so old that I have to be concerned that there's no one around in case I need help I'll quit fishing :)
I agree with you. I don’t like crowds. I wish I can find a trout stream on a extremely rigorous hike so I can be there alone. Urban fishing in a city is crazier. I heard nothing but horror stories this past weekend because the Shad finally showed up. I don’t have a boat or kayak so I’m out of luck, but if i did I probably would of went home after seeing a crowd.